Kit Darby's Struggling To Make Ends Meet

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Pistonpilot

Article in USA Today about the current state of the industry.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/flights/2005-02-07-airline-employees_x.htm?POE=TRVISVA

Kit Darby is having to sacrifice.

"It's not as good a job today as it was a few years ago," said Kit Darby, a United Airlines captain for 20 years. "I've been furloughed five times and worked for three airlines that went out of business. I know what it means to start over."

United pilots are in process of approving an 11.8% decrease in pay on top of a 30% reduction a year ago. As a result, Darby's pay will go from about $230,000 to $150,000.

Sudden decreases in income have caused stress at home. Darby said he and his girlfriend, a first officer for United, had to sell their car after she was laid off in 2003. She found a new job with a charter airline making $70,000 less than before. The pair's household income has shrunk by at least $150,000 a year, forcing them to rely on savings to pay the bills.

Pistonpilot said:
The pair's household income has shrunk by at least $150,000 a year, forcing them to rely on savings to pay the bills.
If they can't live on his $150,000 plus whatever she is making (say $50,000) then they are idiots who are living way beyond their means...

Seeing as the average household income in the US is about $60k a year, I don't think the donatations are going to come flooding in for poor Kit...

This guy is living in his own world!

Don't forget the seminar money!

Falcon Capt said:
If they can't live on his $150,000 plus whatever she is making (say $50,000) then they are idiots who are living way beyond their means...

Seeing as the average household income in the US is about $60k a year, I don't think the donatations are going to come flooding in for poor Kit...

It is al relative!

I remember a young Captain at AA that rented a room in the DC area with other guys, one of which was one of my ME students. I asked him why he didn't buy his own place, etc. He replied that he had no debt and was sand bagging most of his six-figure income and stated, "if AA goes out of business tomorrow, I won't have to work another day in my life".

He was a little different, but I admire his commitment. His seniority is still flying. I only wish I had checked under his mattress when he was rooming with my student!!!

Falcon Capt said:

Has nothing to do about living beyond their means, has everything to do with re-adjusting to a lifestyle they haven't lived at in quite some time. I'm sure half the world's population thinks you're an idiot because you haven't retired on your fat corporate paycheck, afterall, $1000 a month would set them for life in their country, how could you posssibly have any concern when you're making what you are.

I guess his JetJobs business isn't doing so well now either? A true snake oil salesman, I don't have any sympathy for him.

I met Kit at Oshkosh this past summer. He certainly knows his stuff about this industry and is a very convincing speaker. He's pretty good at getting people fired up about working hard to get the flying job that everyone else wants. I do agree that it is hard to feel too terribly sorry for him. He told us that after his first round of concessions at United, he had to sell his BMW M5. Now that is sad. I can't imagine what's he going to be driving now with the latest cuts. Maybe all the way down to a 3 Series...and not even an M3!

sleepy said:
I guess his JetJobs business isn't doing so well now either? A true snake oil salesman, I don't have any sympathy for him.

I couldn't agree more!!!

Don't worry, he'll still be selling the snake oil for many years to come.

Latest resources

Back