• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

yasir1212

Follow-up on my other thread....

http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?t=110704

I guess if enough people make their voices heard, whether it's writing a letter, email, or marching in DC, someone will eventually have to listen...Check your ALPA blastmail....

TSA and FAMS Officials Address ALPA Executive Council

On April 8, 2008, ALPA President, Capt. John Prater, and the Executive Council received briefings from John Sammon, Assistant Administrator, Transportation Sector Network Management, TSA, and John Novak, Assistant Director, Flight Operations Division, Federal Air Marshal Service.

Sammon advised that, in response to ALPA’s concerted efforts TSA Administrator Kip Hawley has approved a test of the ALPA-designed CrewPASS initiative. CrewPASS will improve airport screening processes and passenger through-put by removing pilots from checkpoint lines, authenticating their identity and employment status in real time, and providing them an alternative means of access to secure areas of airports. ALPA will continue to work with TSA and closely monitor and support the progress of this effort. Future updates will provide details of the test program’s implementation.

FAMS Assistant Director John Novak addressed the issues of Secondary Barriers and the Federal Flight Deck Officer (FFDO) program. He emphasized the Federal Air Marshal Service’s commitment to the success of the FFDO program and expressed the FAMS support of the concept of Secondary Barriers.

The presence of Sammon and Novak at the Executive Council meeting represents one of many measures of the Association’s success in building positive working relationships with key government officials in order to best represent the interests of the membership.

Lets hope this gets done soon! As a regional pilot I cant afford any new socks and it is pretty embarrassing to have to take off my shoes every day.

Lets hope this gets done soon! As a regional pilot I cant afford any new socks and it is pretty embarrassing to have to take off my shoes every day.
Buy different shoes. I haven't taken mine off in 9 months!

ps. some of my socks had some holes around the toes and it was always embarrassing to have to pull my shoes off.

Buy different shoes. I haven't taken mine off in 9 months!

ps. some of my socks had some holes around the toes and it was always embarrassing to have to pull my shoes off.[/quot

YOU PASSED THE TEST! You must be a real airline pilot if you are too cheap to buy new socks. Now, if your airport car is at least 10 years old, you can check off the next box. :laugh:

some good info and response

/*vml*/ v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} w10\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
c8db6a32-fc98-4028-a95e-89c1beb5accb.jpg

April 7, 2008​
Mr.
Peachtree City, GA 30269-2704

Dear Mr. ,
Thank you for contacting me regarding the Crew Pass aviation security system for air line employees. I sincerely appreciate the benefit of your views.

I firmly believe that it is critically important to work alongside the aviation community in order to implement a sterile area access system that is convenient, efficient, and meets the needs of all crewmembers; the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) has been meeting with key aviation stakeholders to begin this collaboration.

On March 26, 2008, TSA delivered a report to Congress as required under The Implementing Recommendations of the 9/11 Commission Act (Public Law # 110-53) that details current proposals for a sterile access system that are under review, including the Crew Pass system. Included in the report is TSA's determination of feasibility of implementing the system within one year after the report submission; and the challenges the agency will face instituting this type of system. Given the system's complexities, TSA intends to test the feasibility of any sterile area access system on a pilot basis at select airports before widely instituting them on a national level. Pilot testing will allow TSA to test multiple concepts and provide the opportunity to adjust or enhance any system to make wider deployment feasible.
Additionally, TSA has named seven airports that will take part in airport employee screening pilot projects as a requirement of the Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2008 (Public Law # 110-161) . TSA will test various screening techniques for 90 days at each airport beginning in May 2008. The legislation mandates 100 percent employee screening be evaluated at three airports and alternative employee screening at the four other airports. The seven airports are: Boston's Logan International, Denver International, Jacksonville International, Kansas City International, Eugene Airport (Oregon), Southwest Oregon Regional (North Bend, Oregon) and Craven Regional (New Bern, NC), these airports were selected, in part, to ensure that those of different sizes are represented.
Boston Logan will implement 100 percent screening of employees and vehicles at airport perimeter entrances using biometric access control. Jacksonville International and Craven Regional will employ100 percent employee checkpoint screening from the public area to the secure area. Denver , Kansas City, Eugene and Southwest Oregon Regional will evaluate enhanced security screening, random screening, behavior detection programs, employee security awareness training, and portable screening equipment. P.L. # 110-161 provided up to $15 million for these employee screening programs. TSA is required to report to Congress before Sept. 1, 2008 on the cost and effectiveness of the pilot programs at each airport. Employment of multiple security measures will enable TSA to evaluate the most effective manner of screening airport employees.
Hopefully, these airport employee screening trials will create an opportunity for TSA to install and test biometric-based employee identification systems by positively confirming crew member's identities and employment status, rather than continue to subject crew members to repeated physical screening, freeing screeners to concentrate on passengers.
Hearing the views of all Georgians gives me the opportunity to better understand how important issues could impact the people of Georgia and the future interests of the nation. As your elected official in the House of Representatives and as a member of the Transportation & Infrastructure, Aviation Subcommittee, please be assured that I will be active in the debate and development of the Crew Pass program. In that regard, your views will prove most helpful.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact me. For additional information regarding current legislation and my representation of the Third District, I invite you to visit my website at http://www.house.gov/westmoreland

Sincerely,
Lynn A Westmoreland
Member of Congress

Latest resources

Back