King or Sporty's?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

epic!

Im thinking of purchasing the instrument test prep DVD's but dont know which one is worth the $250+ price tag. Any suggestions?

I've got no experience with the Sporty's test prep products; however, I have used several of the King products over the years.

The Kings are pretty hokey -- but they do a darn good job at getting you ready for the written exam. Neither any of my students nor I have scored less than a 92% on any of the written exams after using the King products; my last private pilot student scored 100%.

Good luck.

I bought the Sportys DVDs when I was doing my instrument rating a while back and was really unimpressed.

The quizzes at the end of each segment seemed to have nothing to do with what was actually covered (or the segments were so poor they didn't properly address the test questions, take your pick). My feeling was they were rushed to compete with King and the quality just wasn't there.

I didn't order the full-blown kit, just the DVDs and some supporting booklets so perhaps the things make more sense when integrated with the full Sportys package, but I assumed since they sold them on their own they could stand on their own, which was incorrect.

Ultimately I just bought the Jepp Instrument/Commercial book and found it much more useful.

I've not used the King stuff, but folks I know who have say they're pretty good if you can used to John and Martha. I have a private student now who is using the King stuff for his ground and he's happy with it.

Gleim's DVD test prep seems to have a pretty good reputation as well.

I don't think there's really anything in any of them that you can't get from reading a book, so it's more a matter of how you learn best.

King Schools, Take some over the counter No Doze and stock up on Energy Drinks to get you through it as its good bedtime material and also nightmare material! After you pass your test(S), You may want to call upon a professional (M.D. or Lady of the night) to get the images of Martha out of your head!

NW_Pilot said:
King Schools, Take some over the counter No Doze and stock up on Energy Drinks to get you through it as its good bedtime material and also nightmare material! After you pass your test(S), You may want to call upon a professional (M.D. or Lady of the night) to get the images of Martha out of your head!

i used the king ones when studying for my private but they were VHS's from like 93 and martha had a huge afro-mullet combo goin on. it was hard to get through but i found them helpful, i just assumed sportys would cover the same material and not be so mindnumbingly boring.

epic! said:
i used the king ones when studying for my private but they were VHS's from like 93 and martha had a huge afro-mullet combo goin on.

She's so hot isn't she? mmmm

g

The thing about the King videos is that the two fo them are so wacky in the way they explain things, you actually remember a lot. As far as personalities, I don't think I could sit through a cup of coffee with them.

The sportys are just as good too.

It's all how one learns really, as they both pretty much cover most of the essential material. It's just a presentation style. Kind of like watchingthe local news. They all report the same stories more or less, but its who tells it to you. Whose persona appeals to you the best.

Amish RakeFight said:
The thing about the King videos is that the two fo them are so wacky in the way they explain things, you actually remember a lot. As far as personalities, I don't think I could sit through a cup of coffee with them.

The sportys are just as good too.

It's all how one learns really, as they both pretty much cover most of the essential material. It's just a presentation style. Kind of like watchingthe local news. They all report the same stories more or less, but its who tells it to you. Whose persona appeals to you the best.

excellent thanks!

Latest resources

Back