• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

King Air gurus

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
yup, are there any around? id love to get my eyeballs on one someday.

next extra credit question...what was the model number of the King Air prototype that ran fanjets instead of the beloved turboprop, and what type of engine was it?

next extra credit question...what was the model number of the King Air prototype that ran fanjets instead of the beloved turboprop, and what type of engine was it?
I've never heard of that one. I guess I'm a Hoodoo Guru instead od a King Air Guru...

wingnutt said:
yup, are there any around? id love to get my eyeballs on one someday.

Sad but they are still around !! !! ..... Actually the B100 wasn't that bad of a plane to fly just one loud fukcer and spinning props when it was -5 outside was no joy either.

Watching new guys blow current limiters was also priceless.:D

3 5 0

350DRIVER said:
Watching new guys blow current limiters was also priceless.
one can only imagine...what was it they were doing to constantly blow the C/L's?

wingnutt said:
one can only imagine...what was it they were doing to constantly blow the C/L's?
improper starting techniques, not paying any attention to the loads prior to starting the other engine. What was even better was how many would attribute this problem to faulty mx and having to write things up to try and save a visit to the CP.

simple solution always seemed to pay attention to the loads being imposed.

3 5 0

cool...and to answer the trivia question, Beech did tests in a 200 retrofitted with JT-15D fanjets back in 1975. the engines were placed in the exact spot the PT6's are. it was designated the PD 290 and did more than 100 test flights but was abandonded in 1977 since the airfoil used on the King Airs (and just about every modern other Beech product) was found to create too much drag and wasnt all that much faster than a properly sized turboprop.

wingnutt said:
trivia question for the aficionados...what was the only production model King Air to use an engine other than the P&W PT6A, and what engine was it?
B-100 with Garrett tpe331-6
Do I get a prize??
Are the PT-6's quieter?

Latest resources

Back