Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Moonfly201

Armored Member
About 2 weeks ago a fairly new King Air, with 6 passengers departed (at night) Long Island MacArthur Airport IFR in heavy snow. They had been de-iced at the Jet Center. Ceilings were reported 200'.

Within 2 minutes of departing R/W 6, departure control notified the tower that the aircraft was not in radio contact, and was flying over Long Island at 300' to 400' AGL. It appeared the King Air was headed back towards ISP's ILS 6 localizer. The snow sweepers were ordered clear of the runway, and Fire/Rescue was notified to roll.

Soon thereafter, the aircraft (still at less than 400' agl) turned south towards the bays and ocean, and when reaching the ocean, turned towards JFK. JFK was reporting marginal VFR at that time. That's the last the folks operating the Islip airport heard.

Nobody at ISP knows what happened. Anyone have a clue?

I have not heard anything about this... BUT... I am working this afternoon, I know who to ask... I'll let you know what/if I find out.

I Made a post about this few weeks ago. I was trying to get in to JFK that day, and after holding for an hour and going to PHL for fuel, and then holding again, we were told JFK was closed for a lost king air. The controlling were asking us if we thought he could pick up the field VFR, the WX for changing very quickly as the front moved through with 55mph winds. After we finally got into JFK I asked the ATC about the king air , and they said he made in to JFK ok.

Glad someone heard something... I found out nada... the center was never involved...

I think aproach was handling them, they said that he has lost all instruments, and only had a radio.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back