King Air Drivers and/or Owners

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

dhc8fo

Have any of you guys just jumped right into part owning a turboprop and also operating it as a 135 charter?

I have a good amount of King Air time, but it was awhile back. My mind is encrusted with Part 121 flying. I am all for doing all the leg work and making it happen, but I feel incompetent for the startup.

The idea started out with a Baron and has now blossomed into a King Air. I am feeling overwhelmed. Excited, don't get me wrong, but I feel all aholes and elbows right now.

Any success stories?

KA will give you a lot more options, from cargo to people moving if you have the overhead and business go with a KA no doubt.

Hope you're not trying to get your own 135 cert. Can take years depending on the FSDO. Better option, put it on someone else's cert. Good idea to find an airplane coming off of 135 so it's maint, while probably shoddy, will pass FAA scrutiny (at least the documentation anyway)

I think the days of putting your a/c on someonelse's certificate are coming to an end

pilotmiketx said:
Hope you're not trying to get your own 135 cert. Can take years depending on the FSDO.

Actually, it isn't too bad for a single plane/single operator 135. We don't plan to be bigger than one or two pilots. Don't want to go piggyback because we wish to retain all control of the plane and our possible earnings.

Just a bunch of guys who enjoy airplanes and can use one to help out their businesses....it's just that MY part of the business includes flying them for the guys.

Were working with the GSO FSDO. Nice group of guys so far. There have just been many nights where I sit there not too sure which direction to go in next...so many details and ins and outs to learn. I was just looking for a little kick in the arse from some of you guys who may have found yourself in this situtation. I guess starting any business is stressful and I am not one who parts with my cash easily since there isn't a whole lot of it!

Thedude said:
I think the days of putting your a/c on someonelse's certificate are coming to an end

any info to back this up? with the wait being a few years right now, one can only imagine how long it would be if it was suddenly declared "not acceptable". i know too many good sized companies that dont now have, nor do they want their own certificate. the increase in operating costs alone is enough to keep them piggy-backing.

I'm not as experienced as most of the pilots here with the flying part, but I work at a small flight school/charter company that has just gone through what you are describing (though with C-421s instead of a KA).

We used a consulting company to help us through all the paperwork, applications process and ops spec. It made it way, way, way easier.

You might want to ask around about consultants who help set up part 135 ops and find one you can work with. Having help from someone who has navigated the whole process before was invaluable to us.

Good luck.

johnpeace said:
I'm not as experienced as most of the pilots here with the flying part, but I work at a small flight school/charter company that has just gone through what you are describing (though with C-421s instead of a KA).

We used a consulting company to help us through all the paperwork, applications process and ops spec. It made it way, way, way easier.

You might want to ask around about consultants who help set up part 135 ops and find one you can work with. Having help from someone who has navigated the whole process before was invaluable to us.

Good luck.

Thanks. How did you guys find your consultant? I mean other than breaking open the yellow pages...trying to find anyone who knows anything about aviation AND the law and money is a big hurdle for me....as well as not knowing too many (if any) other people willing to share the info.

Latest resources

Back