King Air 300 Copilot

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

DrProc

Does any one know if the King Air 300 requires a copilot due to FAA certification on all a/c, or is it an insurance item for certain operators? And if it is just an insurance requirement, can you legally log it as sic?

It depends, you can get a single pilot type, or a type with an SIC required limitation. Most guys who have the type, got the little bit of extra training and got it single pilot. Usually, insurance requires the second pilot with passengers on-board. To answer your question, No, you can't log SIC if the Captain is single pilot capable, regardless of what the insurance requires. There are some exceptions, such as having a working auto pilot and (I think) a headset with a boom mike. There are ways around it I guess, but if the capt. is single pilot typed, I wouldn't log SIC.

If it is under Part 135 this could possibly require two but then you would have to have the 61.55 SIC training. May not apply to you.

If it is under Part 135 this could possibly require two

I don't think so, unless 9 or more seats. I could be mistaken, the ex says it's been known to happen. There's a kit to render a seat unusable (blocked with seatbelt) to meet the requirement if needed.

Under 135, IFR, passenger carrying, the aircraft has a CVR (or fewer than 6 seats, but that's not likely in a King Air), and you are a properly qualified 135 SIC (trained and checked), then yes, you can log it.

Or if the PIC has a limitation on his or her type rating requiring two pilots.

Otherwise, I believe you are out of luck.

I suppose if the other pilot is a CFI-MEI then you could get some time signed off as dual, for whatever that is worth.

Ride High said:
If it is under Part 135 this could possibly require two but then you would have to have the 61.55 SIC training. May not apply to you.

Latest resources

Back