• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

King Air 200 windshield question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

I kept thinking about those guys. My sim instructor at FSI told me about that and I even remember being at some FBO watching T.V. when it happened.

This seems like an accurate summary:

These pilots turned a non-emergency into a major emergency. Cracked winshields are COMMON on King Airs -- the cabins do NOT depressurize. The checklist says to descend below 25,000 feet and set the pressurization controller to 2.0 - 4.6 psi -- that is IT.

The pilots opted to DUMP the cabin which depressurized the cabin THEN they donned oxygen masks (this is out of order -- you put the masks on first) -- they obviously did not ARM the oxygen system prior to take-off. If they had, the masks would have provided oxygen right away.

I have met numerous King Air pilots who have had cracked windshields -- all were NON EVENTs -- they just flew the plane home. These two did everything wrong and are lucky to be alive.

If you get a chance, spend some time observing the replacement of the windscreen, and you'll understand why the windscreen is a lot more robust, than you thought, and that you needn't fear.

So far as windscreen heat, you have a distinct possibility that the heat is part of the reason for the failure. That aside, with an electrically heated windscreen, do you think applying electricity to a broken component is a good idea?

I see your point about the heated windshield. During the ferry flight I pretty much only touched the throttles. It was very uneventful.

Now I think the most scary thing about the cracked windshield another bill for the owner of the aircraft to pay. Jobs aren't exactly easy to come by.

Last edited:
I think that if you were to get into the MEL you would find that you can ferry the plane unpressurized... but only if there is NO DAMAGE to the INNER pane...

I have had the same thing happen going through about 200 on Christmas eve about 5 years ago... Got my attention, but even more so of the pax sitting in the right seat.

Good Job....

LB

Latest resources

Back