Kidney Stones

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Pacer5

Was diagnosed with a kidney stone (7mm) in the left ureter last week. Underwent lithotripsy and all is well. I am quite concerned, however, over the apparent 2 strikes and you are out rule for stones. Please correct me if I am wrong, but the way I read it, the FAA/AME will let the first one slide, but after that I am done. Needless to say, I am quite down about this.

I have done as much reading on the subject as I can (and have browsed all Flight info.com on the subject), have increased my fluid intake, dietary changes, exercising etc.

My question to anyone in the know is what the definition of "recurrent" means to the FAA. Does it make any difference if I get another stone 6 months from now vs 5 years from now? If 10 years goes by and I get another, does that mean I am done flying? My health is excellent, no family history of this. My diet and fluid intake is admittedly terrible, so I am attributing most of this to lifestyle. Doc says its 50/50 chance of getting another one. Does anyone know if making changes in diet and fluid intake can make those odds better? If one did lose their medical for this, can you reapply for a medical after a certain time passess and you can prove you have been "stone free"? Does the type of stone make a difference to the AME/FAA?

I didn't realize something like this could end a career.

Thank you.

Pacer5

Don't tell em'. What they don't know won't hurt them. And for gosh sakes try and DRINK more!! You dont want to go through that again.

Latest resources

Back