Kidney Stones

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

navpilot

twelve hours of agony (3 hours in flight) with a kidney stone trying to pass on friday. visit to doctor today waiting for a referall. anyone out there with this problem past or present. until i see a urologist not sure what to do as far as flying goes. hate to have it happen again in flight but all indications are that it could be anytime in the next couple weeks.

Now I remember taking a friend of mine to the ER with kidney stones.

I just got up and drank a big bottle of water....

One of our pilot had them...doc took her off flying status until she passed. Which she did four days later.

Drink lots of water...even before you get the stones.

Eric

My brother-in-law and I were talking about this last week. From what I hear, it can be harder to get a medical back from kidney stones than heart problems. As you've found out, it can double you over and be just as incompacitating and until the AME/FEDs feel you won't have anymore, it could be tough going.

Check with your AME as well and they should have some good intel for you.

Sorry for your pain! I do hope all heals quickly!

2000Flyer

My AME found blood in my urine in 1985, & it turned out to be kidney stones. 2 weeks later I had lithotripsy, which is a hydro shock treatment. It worked, but it took 2 more months to get my class 1 medical back. I hope you don't have the problems I had with the folks in OKC & DC. I finally had to contact my state representative to get the feds to act.
Good luck

I went through a stone episode Jan 05 (or it went through me)-- this was a first time for me. No need to recast the details but agreed w/ others, keep the water bottle in your hand and refill it often.

As for the medical issue check out AOPA site which has great info.

In short, I was able to get my 3rd class renewed December 05. Obviously I had to report all the new info and visits to Uro docs, etc and hospital. Though I passed the stone in Feb 05, I had to prove in December for the medical renewal that I was still stone free which meant another CAT scan. Fortunately, the scan was clear. For those of you who are termed stone producers (meaning the gravel shows up frequently) you may have serious difficulty getting renewed especially if you had history of obstruction (which is the real pain).
Good luck.

2000flyer said:
My brother-in-law and I were talking about this last week. From what I hear, it can be harder to get a medical back from kidney stones than heart problems. As you've found out, it can double you over and be just as incompacitating and until the AME/FEDs feel you won't have anymore, it could be tough going.

Check with your AME as well and they should have some good intel for you.

Sorry for your pain! I do hope all heals quickly!

2000Flyer

I've heard this as well. You will apparently lose your medical until you can prove the stones are all cleared; in other words, they'll make sure there's not another one waiting like a little hand grenade to go off at the worst moment.

Water is the answer. Jet aircraft flying dries you out, badly. I'm sorry for the FA's in the middle of their service, but I'm going to drink a LOT of water to prevent this from happening. Apparently, genetics is a factor too, so if you have relatives with stones, take extra care.

Latest resources

Back