Key Air out of Waterbury-Oxford OXC

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

johnsonrod

Any thoughts about this charter operator out of OXC? Looks like a great, diverse range of airplanes (Lears, Challengers, Gulfstreams and Globals). I've heard "Key Air" up and down the East Coast and wondered about them.

Website does not indicate that they are hiring - given the present economy probably won't for awhile... Does not look like they operate any Legacies (too bad since I fly the airline version).

That said, any thoughts about them as an operator in terms of schedules, pay, QOL, etc.? Overall, is it a good place to work relative to all of the other charter operators in the NYC area?

I applied with a type rating on one of their planes and I had a rec. Hope you have better luck than me.

They've lost the management contracts on a few jets and have laid off pilots in the past months. I know of two Gulfstreams and one Hawker leaving.

Sorry for the dose of pessimism.

I have a bud that works their. They have people on furlough and they are trying to get them back, but as previously mentioned planes are coming and going.

I happened to worked for Key Air this year for sever months. I was flying a LearJet 60 they were managing out of Boca Raton, FL. Too bad the owner of the Lear 60 could not continued on the payments. Therefore, I was furloughed.
Over all, Key Air is fairly good. We had somewhat of days off at the Boca based. I'm sure being based in OXC, their schedule is much better though. At the Boca base, we pretty much flew two weeks out of the month. I was never called during the other two weeks. After my bird went away, I did tried to bring another into the company. But, the deal felt through. I would work for them again. Everyone at Key Air are great to work with. Nice people to work for.
Good luck.

Key Air WAS a great place to work for. The company is losing a lot of airplanes, and not only due to the economy but real bad management.... Seniority does not mean anything there either. They have made a lot of mistakes in the past and rather than admitting and correcting them, they persist in their stubborness.... thence, a lot of pilots are losing their jobs and Key Air does not care about keeping them. The crews and dispatch that work there are great! This company was sitting on a golden opportunity to become successful, they just have the wrong people in the decision making seats. The guys that work there can't only wait for things to turn around so that they can get out!!!

Key Air WAS a great place to work for. The company is losing a lot of airplanes, and not only due to the economy but real bad management.... Seniority does not mean anything there either. They have made a lot of mistakes in the past and rather than admitting and correcting them, they persist in their stubborness.... thence, a lot of pilots are losing their jobs and Key Air does not care about keeping them. The crews and dispatch that work there are great! This company was sitting on a golden opportunity to become successful, they just have the wrong people in the decision making seats. The guys that work there can't only wait for things to turn around so that they can get out!!!

Spot on.

That place was a year and half out of my life I'll never get back.

They are a great company to work for. All of the management I had dealings with (from the DO on down) were all very good people. They are the kind of people everyone wants for their bosses. I never really had much contact with upper management so I couldn't tell you much in that regard. Schedule is typical for on demand 135. You get 5 hard days off a month and you are normally on call the rest of the time. Pay is above average in my opinion. You're taken care of when you are on the road.

Any chance they might be looking to hire at the Minneapolis/St. Paul base in the near future?

You will only get hired if you come with the airplane and the owner, or are typed and current in the airplane that is coming if there is no pilots on it!

Latest resources

Back