Kenn’s Letter to the pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

MagnumPI

Wanted to share another lettter that was sent to the employees at World Airways many years ago, see if it sounds familiar:

Dear Fellow Employee,

I have taken the liberty of writing you at your home because of the extreme importance of my subject. For many months we have all had to endure the intrusion and annoyance of an outside third party. It has not been easy for anybody. But by now you have learned that the union can guarantee you nothing except that it will take money from you and perhaps take you out on strike. Your company is not perfect. No company is. We have made our share of mistakes in the past, and we may again in the future. But nothing can justify the damage that would be caused if we were infected by an outside agent. We will accomplish a lot more through a direct relationship than an arm's length one. And so I am asking you, from my heart: Please, give us a chance. Thank you for allowing me into your home with this most important message.

Yours truly, Ed Daly. World Airways

As his eyes marched down the page, Daly's habitual scowl grew more pronounced. When he reached the middle of the letter, his face reddened. His cheeks quivered. Then he began to grunt. Finally he exploded. He slammed his fist on the desk and pushed himself to his feet, leaning toward us with rage. "What the hell are you thinking, walking in here with this crap?" he howled, throwing the letter on the floor. "I'm not going to sign that f%**ng $h1t . Get the hell out of here."

Crosbie and I were ready. "I don't think you have much of a choice, Ed," I told him coolly. "This letter is our only hope. Your people are angry. If you don't want them voting for the union, you have to make them believe that you recognize your mistakes." Then the clincher, the threat I always delivered when executives balked at playing humble: "Without this letter, I can't guarantee you the election.”

Martin J Levitt
Confessions of a Union Buster
Copyright 1993

For those that haven’t read this book, it’s an eye opener. If you can get your hands on one (they’re hard to come by now)

During the first three contract battles during my tenure at NJ, management followed the script laid out in Confessions to the letter. Right down to these silly “we know we’re not perfect” letters sent to your home.

It sounds like KR is using the same tired but effective script.

Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt. FUD. It’s all they have at this point. Know how to spot it. Know how to defeat it.

Many thanks to the pilots who answer our call sign with "don't decert!" And who talk to our pilots in the FBOs.
Vote IBT-Airline Division!

It's not just the letters, it's the text messages too. This last one about how decert will help us refocus on excellence? As long as we were Bombardier, we never had to question our focus on excellence. Some of us never stopped focusing on excellence. Now, we need a contract to simply give us assurance that we won't be blindsided by a demand to ignore excellence. Like my last rotation where I was told not to write up a maintenance item. Just "monitor" that until you get to a better place to fix it...Because of our contract, I was able to stay focused on excellence.

Last edited:
Truck4.pngLook For the IBT 1108 truck while in Dallas
https://gem.godaddy.com/p/ad872c?fe...0007-71b9766579c79e841925c59fd42bb1abf19933ec

Last edited:
It's not just the letters, it's the text messages too. This last one about how decert will help us refocus on excellence? As long as we were Bombardier, we never had to question our focus on excellence. Some of us never stopped focusing on excellence. Now, we need a contract to simply give us assurance that we won't be blindsided by a demand to ignore excellence. Like my last rotation where I was told not to write up a maintenance item. Just "monitor" that until you get to a better place to fix it...Because of our contract, I was able to stay focused on excellence.
Don’t fly tired, don’t fly hungry, don’t fly broke planes. That mantra should be in the back of every pilots mind. If the decert crowd wins out you’ll possibly have to compromise this mantra. Contract language will protect you. Good luck on the vote. We’re all pulling for you.

There is an old manager making the rounds at a particular FBO telling pilots the way Mr. Ricci and management refer to pilots and customers behind their backs. He's letting us know some of the derogatory terms used.

Remember in his video where he literally told the roundtable customers are liars? When he said pilot retirements were bargaining chips? That's when he was behaving himself for cameras and this management team didn't catch what a huge blunder that was. What do you think they will say behind closed doors if they'll let that on camera?

It's interesting how people are willing to believe what they want to believe about how someone feels about them based on their need to be liked versus reality. The fact is behind closed doors this management team has no respect for pilots or customers.

When I look at the major players of the decert campaign I am amazed at how easily these guys were targeted due to low self esteem. That statement alone is sure to set them off in a frenzy further proving my point. To a certain extent some (not all but definitely some) Red Label pilots too. Their need to be loved and regarded by "Daddy" and the way they were swayed by a little bit of "Uncle Sugar" is almost embarrassing to watch.

Ladies and gentlemen, the reason Kenn likes to compare his employees to being his family is because that language is 100% effective on the pilots who make the best FoKs. The ones with daddy issues or wife issues. The ones with low self esteem. The ones who see themselves as benefactors of a benevolent Daddy instead of professionals and providers themselves.

Look at the decert bunch. Take all of your experience with them over the years and compare it with what I just said. Are you starting to see it?

There is an old manager making the rounds at a particular FBO telling pilots the way Mr. Ricci and management refer to pilots and customers behind their backs. He's letting us know some of the derogatory terms used.

Remember in his video where he literally told the roundtable customers are liars? When he said pilot retirements were bargaining chips? That's when he was behaving himself for cameras and this management team didn't catch what a huge blunder that was. What do you think they will say behind closed doors if they'll let that on camera?

It's interesting how people are willing to believe what they want to believe about how someone feels about them based on their need to be liked versus reality. The fact is behind closed doors this management team has no respect for pilots or customers.

When I look at the major players of the decert campaign I am amazed at how easily these guys were targeted due to low self esteem. That statement alone is sure to set them off in a frenzy further proving my point. To a certain extent some (not all but definitely some) Red Label pilots too. Their need to be loved and regarded by "Daddy" and the way they were swayed by a little bit of "Uncle Sugar" is almost embarrassing to watch.

Ladies and gentlemen, the reason Kenn likes to compare his employees to being his family is because that language is 100% effective on the pilots who make the best FoKs. The ones with daddy issues or wife issues. The ones with low self esteem. The ones who see themselves as benefactors of a benevolent Daddy instead of professionals and providers themselves.

Look at the decert bunch. Take all of your experience with them over the years and compare it with what I just said. Are you starting to see it?

Anybody In their right mind that doesn’t think for a minute a guy like Kenn won’t manipulate everything in his favor is delusional. Thank you sir, may I have another.

Latest resources

Back