• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Kauai Ultralight Lesson

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I miss those guys down at salt pond...i used to fly the skydivers out of there at port allen. Youre lucky you got to go, those poor ultralight guys get winded out nearly everyday...as did our skydivers.

Nice. I'm really thinking about getting a trike, and this just adds to the desire. Plus, Airborne just came out with a new one that fits my bill almost perfect.

How much would it cost to buy a kit?

Midlifeflyer - how hard was it to fly? I've flown gliders before but not hang gliders, especially "powered hang gliders" (I think that’s the term for this gizmo, right?) Any idea how much it would cost to purchase one of those "trikes" ?Thanks for the replies anyone in the know...

AV8OR,
I think the trike in the video is new Air Creation one. Probably around $40K. Airborne is my favorite trike manufacturer. They will probably run from the low $20's to the high 30's, depending on which model. If there are dealers on both coasts. If you want more info, PM me.

Huggyu2 -

40K wow, I was hoping for a “little” less but then again, don’t we all? LOL

I think that maybe in a year or so I’ll be definitely looking into getting one, I went to Airborne website and saw the model you’re probably thinking of – Redback – am I correct? I think one with tundra wheels would be a great looking aircraft.

What are the regulations on those things anyway? Would I need to register one, what about insurance, etc? I got my ATP, and Commercial single engine, but I’m not even sure if I need a license to fly it? How much do you think a Redback with all the extras would cost? $25 - $30K?

If you do buy one please stay in touch and let me know how you like it, dos and donts, I’d greatly appreciate it. Also, before I buy one I’ll probably go to one of the dealers and ask for a “ride” to see that I can handle it and that it’s a s cool as I think it is.

Midlifeflyer - how hard was it to fly? I've flown gliders before but not hang gliders, especially "powered hang gliders" (I think that’s the term for this gizmo, right?) Any idea how much it would cost to purchase one of those "trikes" ?Thanks for the replies anyone in the know...
The only funky thing about it is that, being weight shifted like a hang glider, the control inputs are reversed from what we are used to with a yoke or stick.

So, pushing forward rather than pulling back increases AoA to climb. Same for turns - an arm motion to the left, rather than right stick, results in a right turn. Even toward the end of that hour flight I still had to think about what I was doing.

BTW Huggy and AV8OR, that particular trike runs almost $60G. Part of it is that it's a new model that qualifies as a weight shift LSA so it's registerable under the new light sport aircraft regs. I don't know a lot about those regs, but the certification regs are in FAR 21 and the pilot qualification regs are, as usual, in Part 61 with most in Subpart J.

Last edited:
Correct: I mis-spoke. It looks like an Air Creation Tanarg in the video, and they are pricey indeed!
I assume they made some changes, as I heard customers were complaining about cracks in the extensive fiberglass pod when it came out.

Latest resources

Back