Katrina Aftermath....It's Bad......

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Back on topic please....

Still glued to the TV and it's getting worse.

N.O. mayor now quoted as saying best case scenario to get water out of N.O is two weeks.

Best case scenario to plug up all the breaks in the levees that have been breached, two days.

Best case scenario to restore power completely, two months.

There will be no school in N.O. for at least two months.

Water is now waist high at Superdome and still rising.

KMSY airport is under water.

Looting is widespread and police presence is nill (too much flooding).

Mayor is calling for a total evacuation of the entire city of New Orleans.

30,000 people now seeking refuge at the Superdome.

City has no power, no running water, no safe dirinking water and very little communications.

Mayor indicated that this is worse than their "worst case scenario".

This is only in New Orleans, appears to be much worse damage wise in Miss and Alabama.

This is aweful news. This is going to be the worst natural disaster ever in this country's history and we may need some help from the outside world.

Last edited:
FN FAL said:
I got an idea...since the nation is in a crisis over prison overcrowding lets get all the non-violent felony offenders, both state and federal, a pick axe and a shovel and put them to work. Those who are productive and go the distance, get half off their sentence with the guarantee of a pardon five years after they are released, if they meet the terms of their pardon and stay out of trouble.

What do you guys think?

Non-violent offenders only...not sex criminals or murderers.

I've got a better idea. Why don't we take those people we find illegally crossing the border and put them to work? Instead of a free ride to the south side of the border, how 'bout 200hrs community service as the punishment for an illegal crossing. Many are repeat offenders. I don't want our criminals out on the streets again so they can break into cars and houses.

viper548 said:
I've got a better idea. Why don't we take those people we find illegally crossing the border and put them to work? Instead of a free ride to the south side of the border, how 'bout 200hrs community service as the punishment for an illegal crossing. Many are repeat offenders. I don't want our criminals out on the streets again so they can break into cars and houses.
Life sentence for car burglary and "B and E"...no problemo. Next time you look at your property taxes and notice you're paying 5,000 a year, just remember...we're waging a war on drugs and your wages help.

FN FAL said:
Life sentence for car burglary and "B and E"...no problemo. Next time you look at your property taxes and notice you're paying 5,000 a year, just remember...we're waging a war on drugs and your wages help.

Property tax? I'm an FO living in CA, can't afford to buy a place. I agree that some people stay in too long and others not enough. The career criminals can stay in for life for all I care. I like the 3 strikes law. We need to find a way to reduce the cost of keeping someone in prison.

viper548 said:
Property tax? I'm an FO living in CA, can't afford to buy a place. I agree that some people stay in too long and others not enough. The career criminals can stay in for life for all I care. I like the 3 strikes law. We need to find a way to reduce the cost of keeping someone in prison.
How about if legislators would quit creating new laws...wouldn't that kinda sorta keep the prisons a little less occupied?

Think about it...5 years ago, if somone a bayonet lug on a certain rifle, they were in violation of federal law. Today, you can put bayonet lugs on till you get blue in the face. WTF is really going on? "net-widening" and "overcriminalization".

FN FAL said:
How about if legislators would quit creating new laws...wouldn't that kinda sorta keep the prisons a little less occupied?

Think about it...5 years ago, if somone a bayonet lug on a certain rifle, they were in violation of federal law. Today, you can put bayonet lugs on till you get blue in the face. WTF is really going on? "net-widening" and "overcriminalization".

I completely agree with that. Unless you're using weapons illegally, I think you should be able to have whatever you want. I have a .50 cal revolver myself. I bought it because at the time there was talk of banning it (like anyone is gonna take this thing to rob a liquor store)

WTF are they looting. TV's? Where you gonna plug it in? Car's? Where you going to drive it?

Note to self. Don't buy a car from New Orelans or surrounding areas even if it has a really really good price.

You know some a hole is going to try to sell his car and say that musty smell is a leak in the roof.

The Silence Is Deafening

The Silence Is Deafening

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

By Neil Cavuto

foxnews_story.gif

Maybe I missed it, but I have a question: Where's the global relief effort for us today?

New Orleans (search) is under water. Mississippi (search) is a disaster. Scores are dead. Homes are destroyed. Businesses are shut down.

When this kind of stuff happens to other folks, we're there. When this kind of stuff happens to us, who's here?

I know we're a rich country. But I think it a bit rich so few call to wish us well in this country. Perhaps some have and perhaps I've missed it.

Still, others never miss a chance to bash us if we've done something wrong or done nothing at all.

All I know is a lot of poor folks here got hit here. Would it kill the same foreigners we've helped there, to offer support here?

I don't expect a telethon. But how about a call on a telephone?

Maybe some countries have offered rescue personnel. I just haven't seen them. I'll keep looking. I'll keep waiting. I'll keep wondering.

All I know is for now, the silence is deafening. And the water in New Orleans isn't the only thing that stinks.

Yes, yes, you're right...the entire world is against us. We are the last of the rugged individualists, alone in the fight for what's right and good. Must make you feel all warm and validated inside.

Just not particularly true is all.

Latest resources

Back