Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cargoflyr69

V-Dub for Life
I just tried to list for a jumpseat ride domestically. I tried the 1-800 number up in YIP and they said "no-go" for a ride tonight (12 hours from now) because I had to list 5-7 days in advance!?!? is this true, or was I just given the run-around by someone that didn't want to put the effort into helping me out? It seems funny because their website schedule hardly even goes that far out, let alone do I even know my schedule that far out!

What would happen if I just showed up at the flight and asked the Captain personally for a ride?

Let's hear from some experienced jumpseaters in the cargo world. Which airlines have the most liberal policies for domestic and international jumpseat travel?

I jumped on Polar from Chicago to Brazil- went on their website a day in advance, filled out the jumpseat application and was approved about 3 hours later. The ride was great, they feed you well and I slept most of the way out of Miami on the beds in back. Getting back was easy too, if not long (had to go through Santiago, then Miami first).

Don't know what the deal with Kallitta was- probably a security thing. For instance, in Miami, if I want to go out on the ramp just to observe, my name needs to appear on the GenDex or Crew Roster for security to even allow me to pass through the gate. Could have been the same on the Kallitta flight. The Captain MAY be able to scribble your name on the list, but for obvious reasons, this would raise more questions than it was worth- having a computer-generated list with your name on it would be much better. Also, since many of these flights continue to international destinations, it complicates things further.

5-7 days advance notice does blow, though. Maybe company policy.

Kalitta has a short list of reciprocal jumpseat carriers, if you're on the list it shouldn't be a problem. If not 5 days seems long but I don't if this is the norm or you got a new flight follower.

Junk-

My airline is on that list of reciprocal carriers, thats why I was so baffled when i got the 5-7 day reply. No worries though I've found an altranate way to get where I need to be. Woulda been kinda fun to jump a freighter though.

Anyone have some more jumpeseat tips for any other cargo airlines?

Cargo,
I don't know why they did that, next time call back and talk to the chief pilot (Dick Hagquist) or director of safety(Heath Nicholl) and they should be able to get it done pretty fast.

Junkflier is right

Hey cargo just do what junk said call the same 800 number in yip and ask for Mr. Hagquist or Mr. Nichols and you should have no problems and we as polar have nice accomodations on our 747's and will be glad to welcome you on board.
Sorry about that.
Ps. The flight could also be a continuation leg from an international flight. In that case is still consider international by customs and cannot add anyone on the Gendex.
We apologize for the inconvinience.
What's your airline?

5 days would be a little long. It's not just a matter of adding you to the flight plan and putting you on the gen dec (doesn't matter if it's a continutation of an international flight - we switch crews, add deadheading crewmembers to them all the time).

When you request the jumpseat, some sort of employment verification goes on to ensure that you work for that airline. Depending on when you call YIP, that could take a day or so (or more if it's the weekend, etc).

I've seen jumpseaters from other airlines - once you get the approval (get it faxed to you just in case) everything is smooth sailing. YIP can tell you where to meet the crew/airplane, things like that. We should have a meal for you - just enjoy the ride after that.

iaflyer

Latest resources

Back