• NC Software is having a Black Friday Sale Event thru December 4th on Logbook Pro, APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook, Cirrus Elite Binders, and more. Use coupon code BF2020 at checkout to redeem 15% off your purchase. Click here to shop now.
  • NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

Kalitta Crew Bases

cargoflyr69

V-Dub for Life
Total Time
5000+
I understand that as of today all pilots are technically YIP based, but the company has made an effort to commercialize pilots to/from their home city. How often does a trip really start or end in YIP where one would have to get to and from home on your own dime? Would it be possible to live out of the country and have them commercialize you to where you need to be. It would be nice to live in the Bahamas, Belize, Cayman, ect and have a paid ride to and from work! Am I just dreaming or is this possible? How about at other ACMI companies?

iaflyer

Haulin the folks...
Total Time
cargoflyr69 said:
I understand that as of today all pilots are technically YIP based, but the company has made an effort to commercialize pilots to/from their home city. How often does a trip really start or end in YIP where one would have to get to and from home on your own dime? Would it be possible to live out of the country and have them commercialize you to where you need to be. It would be nice to live in the Bahamas, Belize, Cayman, ect and have a paid ride to and from work! Am I just dreaming or is this possible? How about at other ACMI companies?
Almost no trips start or end in YIP. I think in the past year, two trips started in YIP. That's out of thousands. Kalitta Air has a few people living overseas: Scotland and Bangkok come to mind. The company doesn't airline them from home - as I understand it, they end up getting themselves to a place we fly to, then the company utilizes them from that location. For example, the Bangkok guy buys his own ticket to Hong Kong, then the company puts him on a trip there. May seem harsh, but the alternative is the guy getting to Detroit his own way.

The TA, which had home basing, specified the possible airports as being in the 48 US states (and HNL and ANC). So, they wouldn't airline you from say, Belize.

iaflyer

scubabri

Junior Mint
Total Time
Ok. I'm just curious, what are the mins and is the training done in house? I'm sure that this is in another post, but I figured I'd ask here, cause I'm lazy ;) I'm probably not qualified right now, but maybe in a couple years when I build up some of that PIC jet time.

sb

Last edited:

HVYDRVR

Total Time
Enough
scubabri said:
Ok. I'm just curious, what are the mins and is the training done in house? I'm sure that this is in another post, but I figured I'd ask here, cause I'm lazy ;) I'm probably not qualified right now, but maybe in a couple years when I build up some of that PIC jet time.

sb

Do a search for Kalitta....and you would be surprised how much info there is on this company.

HVY