Kalitta Charters Lear Jet Operator

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

johnsonrod

I have a friend with some limited Lear time who is looking to apply to this company - he also lives in the Detroit area. I have, not surprisingly, read a few negative posts about this company.

Does anyone know if they separate the 135 pax crews from the on-demand freight crews? Do the Lear pilots fly both the pax and the on-demand freight on and off? Any positives about this company or the flying they do besides give you a chance to build Lear time? You can PM me if you prefer.

Thanks

Kalitta has around 8 cargo Falcon 20s. They purchased Reliant's Falcons a few years ago and one left over from the Kitty Hawk days.

Unless things have changed, the pay and schedule sucks. Their bread and butter is freight. Not sure how much passenger stuff they do. I do know they do some air ambulance work. Also, it seems that Kalitta cargo (121) does not hire any of the Kalitta Charters guys.

There are better cargo haulers around Detroit to work for. Ameristar and Royal Air come to mind. USA Jet has a Lear 25 they use for passenger work. Maybe Pilotyip will let you know how they hire for the passenger side. Ameristar, Royal, and USA Jet have all been looking for pilots lately. I am sure your buddy would not mind driving a Falcon also.

LAst I knew about the KFS was 24/7 pager 20 min radius YIP. OK pay dues company They're all gonna have their quirks. Ameristar had hard days on/off but they tried to make their pilots jumpseat home at the end of rotation - instead of buying them a rev ticket... not unusual to spend your 1st day off gettin home. Also had that Lear? that suffered cabin depressurization, both pilots died and the company still used the airplane... freaky. We used to call Royal Air, Royal Scare, there for a while they were having frquent incidents - a lot of single pilot runs

I was talking to the Royal Air DOM about a year and a half ago and I inquired about a 310 that got banged up at SKY. He said, "I don't remember which bird that was, they have all been crashed once or twice." Things seem better at Royal vs. the 90s. I knew a guy that was the FO and saw a line guy go right through the floor on a Bandit that he was helping unload. Told me that he finally decided to leave when he saw two pilots get strapped into a Lear one day. Literally! The door would not close and it was just an FCF so they put a cargo strap around the fuselage to keep it closed. But now that the FAA has banned the owner from the premises, things are a lot better. However, they are still the first and last ones to fly when the weather is bad.

My 2 cents, freight hauling on demand is all the same. Marginal at best on the pay scale, bad schedule, flying through the weather in equipment that is not exactly top notch.

Somehow our company talked a guy into buying an old Connie K Hawker 400. Needless to say, it's been in our hanger about 5 months now (most of that time it's been on maintenance) has caught fire twice, non of the avionics work, crews hate the thing, and worst of all this poor owner (new to owning jets obviously) must have shelled out 25% of the purchase price in additional labor. Earlier this week the maintenance guys were cleaning a massive nest out of the tail air intake. No wonder the pack wouldn't work! It was sitting in the hanger again today - collecting dust. If that airplane is any indication of Connie K's overall operation, I'd run - not walk, but run. Good luck - I miss Detroit this time of year, but I'd never come back to fly a CK airplane after seeing our experiences with this Hawker 400.

AZT

Latest resources

Back