Kalitta BOG cause?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Showtime

Other than a dual engine failure, was it ever released as to what was the cause(s) of the engine failures in this accident?

-Showtime

Other than a dual engine failure, was it ever released as to what was the cause(s) of the engine failures in this accident?

-Showtime

no, one engine failed on TO then another less than a min, then another, then they crashed.

I heard that when Pratt did the high altitude testing on the -Q engines, it was on a test stand at near sea level and then they interpolated the data. It sounds like this testing slipped through the FAA certification. Again this is just a rumor. There are lawsuits with Pratt and Boeing over this incident. One has to wonder how 3 engines can fail all at once. My personal belief is that engines were probably high time, but within the limits prescribed by Pratt. When they were pushed to the limits of the performance envelope (High altitude/heavy) they failed. Just my Opinion.

With three engines failing like those did I would suspect bad fuel, especially having just fueled in a third world country.

With three engines failing like those did I would suspect bad fuel, especially having just fueled in a third world country.

That's what everybody thinks but they have not found any evidence of fuel contamination in both the truck and the engines. Since it's Columbia, we may never know. Things seem to be pointing towards P&W.

I heard that when Pratt did the high altitude testing on the -Q engines, it was on a test stand at near sea level and then they interpolated the data. It sounds like this testing slipped through the FAA certification. Again this is just a rumor. There are lawsuits with Pratt and Boeing over this incident. One has to wonder how 3 engines can fail all at once. My personal belief is that engines were probably high time, but within the limits prescribed by Pratt. When they were pushed to the limits of the performance envelope (High altitude/heavy) they failed. Just my Opinion.

Three engine failures? I thought it was one on each side (not like it would make much of a difference in this accident).

-Showtime

Three engine failures? I thought it was one on each side (not like it would make much of a difference in this accident).

-Showtime

If I remember right #4 quit on rotation. Just after they got to 800 feet agl and started to accelerate per the engine out procedure #1 failed. The thrust levers were then fire-walled (emergency thrust) and #3 started compressor stalling so badly that is was making virtually no thrust at all. The #2 engine ran all the way to impact.

Last edited:
Looks I got my #3 and #2 engine mixed up. #3 ran until they hit the ground. I did seat support for the co-pilot from the accident when he returned to the line. Listening to him tell us the the story of the crash sent chills down my spine. I have often thought what would have happened if I had been in the left seat that night. Having never been there before I am sure that the outcome would have not been as good. Beebe did one hell of a good job facing the impossible scenario of loosing three engines on t/o.

Looks I got my #3 and #2 engine mixed up. #3 ran until they hit the ground. I did seat support for the co-pilot from the accident when he returned to the line. Listening to him tell us the the story of the crash sent chills down my spine. I have often thought what would have happened if I had been in the left seat that night. Having never been there before I am sure that the outcome would have not been as good. Beebe did one hell of a good job facing the impossible scenario of loosing three engines on t/o.

No kidding. They dont give that one on checkrides.

Latest resources

Back