KA 350 Type?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Bozzworth

Wondering if anyone knows of a school other than CAE or Flightsafety that does 350 types?

Also heard that if you have 9pax or under there is no required type? Is there any truth to this? I suppose you could only have 9 seats installed??

Also heard that if you have 9pax or under there is no required type? Is there any truth to this? I suppose you could only have 9 seats installed??

I'm not sure where you came up with that. Think of all the Cargo aircraft that have no pax seats but still require a type rating. I would have to look at the Type Data Sheet and the Flight Standization Board report but IMHO you heard wrong.

Wondering if anyone knows of a school other than CAE or Flightsafety that does 350 types?

The 350 is over 12,500 lbs........it is required to have a type rating. FS has a good program.

roger, this begs the question: Can or has this been done?

There are King Air 200's over 12.5 that require a type rating, The Twin Otter is certified 14,000 in Canada but only 12.5 in the US - so no type rating here. It would take a Supplemental Type Certificate (STC - but none that I know of) to reduce the Gross Weight to below 12.5. However, just reducing the pax to 9 would not legally drop the requirement of having a type rating in the 350.

http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/aircraft_certification/design_approvals/

If the OP goes on this site down to "Certificate Types" and looks for the King Air 350 in the Type Certificate Data Sheets and Supplemental Type Certificates he/she may find the answer to the question.

roger, this begs the question: Can or has this been done?

There are King Air 200's over 12.5 that require a type rating, The Twin Otter is certified 14,000 in Canada but only 12.5 in the US - so no type rating here. It would take a Supplemental Type Certificate (STC - but none that I know of) to reduce the Gross Weight to below 12.5. However, just reducing the pax to 9 would not legally drop the requirement of having a type rating in the 350.

http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/aircraft_certification/design_approvals/

If the OP goes on this site down to "Certificate Types" and looks for the King Air 350 in the Type Certificate Data Sheets and Supplemental Type Certificates he/she may find the answer to the question.

Some aircraft types may or may not require a type rating depending on the sub-model. For example, the early Metros are certified at 12500 lbs and do not require a type rating whereas later Metros are certified at over 12500 lbs and do require a type rating. Ditto for the Embraer 110 series.

I'm not sure about the BE-300 series though. I don't think any of them were ever certified at 12500 lbs or less and I'm not aware of any STC that'll lower its MTOW. One option might be re-certifying it under the experimental category but that'll generate a whole new set of limitations.

Last edited:

I am currently flying a King Air 350 and it does require a type rating regardless of the number of pax. If you have 9 pax or less you can fly it single pilot with the proper training. Simcom does the 350 type but I believe you have to do a portion of the training in the real airplane because they do not have a full motion 350 sim. Have fun in school, it is a great airplane!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back