Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Just wanted to you guys to know...You DO make a difference.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

g-code

King of 'da South
I just wanted to thank you guys. I am currently at ERAU in SAT taking night classes. I will be done with the academic portion in March 07'. I WAS planning on going to RAA afterwords because I wanted to fasttrack to that right seat. However, after trolling these forums, I have a new respect for the industry and I refuse to contribute towards the "race to the bottom".

Instead, I have decided to do my training here at Wright Flyers and flight instruct until I have enough time because like many of you said it will make me a better pilot.

Anyway, thats enough ass-kissing, just wanted to let you all know that you do make a change (even if it is a small one).

BTW if any of you live in the SAT area I fully expect you to come fly with me and write a subsequent reccomendation making me look similar to Chuck Yeager, the Wright Brothers, and Charles Lindburg all rolled into one.... ;)

Sadly doing it right will only put you behind those PFT's and you will take what they are getting paid, joining the military is the only way to ensure you won't contribute to the race to the bottom.

Not very familiar with RAA. Does it really put you into the right seat quickly or is it just a bunch of hype? If it really works, why subject yourself to flight instructing?

Yeah but they didn't tell you that after 1000 hours of part 61 teaching, telling people how a rudder works and how you taxi with the rudder pedals, you wont be able to fly IFR to save your life. Not to mention pass a sim ride. Good luck guy.
Thats what I've been up to and I personally think my direct track buddys are way better off. They have one job and get a pay check. Sure it sucks but I have three jobs and it sucks too and the pay is worse. I try to study IFR stuff the 2 hours I have to myself everyday and I can feel it slipping away. My flying club has two broken sims. I can't afford to leave work to go to another clubs sims not to mention pay for the sim time. Just find yourself a good flight school with instrument students and fly a frasca as much as you can.

BushwickBill said:
Yeah but they didn't tell you that after 1000 hours of part 61 teaching, telling people how a rudder works and how you taxi with the rudder pedals, you wont be able to fly IFR to save your life. Not to mention pass a sim ride. Good luck guy.
Thats what I've been up to and I personally think my direct track buddys are way better off. They have one job and get a pay check. Sure it sucks but I have three jobs and it sucks too and the pay is worse. I try to study IFR stuff the 2 hours I have to myself everyday and I can feel it slipping away. My flying club has two broken sims. I can't afford to leave work to go to another clubs sims not to mention pay for the sim time. Just find yourself a good flight school with instrument students and fly a frasca as much as you can.

A little hard work isn't going to kill you. I did it the hard way just like yourself and I don't regret it at all. I was able to pay off what little debt that I had accumulated for flight training, so I am now able to live comfortably in one of the nicest parts of the country off of a not so great paycheck. Yeah, that direct track crap may get you an easy start into the industry, but good luck paying off those loans for the next 20+ years.

Last edited:
g-code said:
I just wanted to thank you guys. I am currently at ERAU in SAT taking night classes. I will be done with the academic portion in March 07'. I WAS planning on going to RAA afterwords because I wanted to fasttrack to that right seat. However, after trolling these forums, I have a new respect for the industry and I refuse to contribute towards the "race to the bottom".

Instead, I have decided to do my training here at Wright Flyers and flight instruct until I have enough time because like many of you said it will make me a better pilot.

Anyway, thats enough ass-kissing, just wanted to let you all know that you do make a change (even if it is a small one).

BTW if any of you live in the SAT area I fully expect you to come fly with me and write a subsequent reccomendation making me look similar to Chuck Yeager, the Wright Brothers, and Charles Lindburg all rolled into one.... ;)

Nice of you to be noble and all but save it. I grad'd ERAU in 01, did the bridge program to ACA and got on with relatively low time. I didn't take it for granted and I feel comfortable saying that those who knew me would not categorize me as a 700 hour wonder.

I tried to give back by volunteering for the union and helping the pilot group out. If you have an opportunity, take it. You have to look out for yourself. No one is going to give you a medal for being noble. I learned that at FlyI. Your skills are not going to benefit by flying another 1000 hours in a pattern in a 150. Seize the opportunity now. Seniority is EVERYTHING.

Goodluck

g-code,
you will get a lot of different responses for what you're deciding to do. just know someone who earns their job rather than taking the easy way gets a lot more respect on line. other people on this forum will take issue with that but it's the truth. good luck.

Who the f*ck are you people? We've got someone finally doing it the right way and you all put him down. Nice.

Why subject yourself to flight instructing? Because that's where you learn how to fly! Or doesn't anybody care about that anymore...

jpeace02 said:
g-code,
you will get a lot of different responses for what you're deciding to do. just know someone who earns their job rather than taking the easy way gets a lot more respect on line. other people on this forum will take issue with that but it's the truth. good luck.

that is so much bullsh*t. If you are able to make it through training then you will get the respect you deserve online. G-code, you might think it's noble to do it the hard way, but in the end the seniority number is all that matters. The sooner you get one the better off you'll be. All you CFI's out there will argue this point to the day you die,,,....THERE IS NO CORRELATION BETWEEN FLYING A 172 OR A SEMINOLE AROUND THE PATTERN OR ON CROSS COUNTRIES FOR A FEW 1000 HOURS IN THE RIGHT SEAT AND FLYING AN RJ AT THE REGIONALS.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back