Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

wrxpilot

The proud, the few
I was at my table studying, and I heard an airplane flying around. There's a lot of flying around here (south FL), so I didn't pay too much attention. But then it came back and sounded really loud... At first I thought it may have been a boat (there's a river out back), but after a sec I decided that was definitely a plane. I started for the door to go take a look when it all of a sudden started missing BADLY. I ran outside and saw him struggling away northbound at around 500 ft. His engine started to clear up, but it was still pretty rough and popping. About 20 secs later it cleared up considerably, but was still popping. Looked like he was headed back to Stuart (SUA), about 20 mi from here.

I'm am so glad I did not see that plane go down... I'm not sure what I felt in those 15 secs of seeing him struggle, but I'd say it was pretty close to scared s****less. I ran to my flightbag and dialed 121.5 on my handheld, but didn't hear anything. Hope he makes it home ok. I think I'll be practicing some engine out stuff next week.

I'm wondering if he pulled the power back, made a quick descent, and didn't pull carb heat. Got some carb ice, and made a couple of good decisions (like pulling the carb heat) when the engine started acting up. Who knows...

man.. the one time i see some college girls in the river canoeing and decide to go in for a closer look, and the whole world finds out about it.

yzf6 said:
man.. the one time i see some college girls in the river canoeing and decide to go in for a closer look, and the whole world finds out about it.

I don't know why, but "college girls canoeing in the river" just sounds really funny. I guess because you see that sort of stuff all the time.

Anyway, carry on.

Latest resources

Back