Just got assigned BUF, where to live?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ProPilot5

Will only have 3 days to look at homes before moving, trying to find nice parts of town to rent home for family. Reasonably priced yet safe enough to leave family home alone at night while off doing run.

Any suggestions geatly appreciated.

that has to be the worst place in the country to ever have to live. I am sorry for you.

went to college there and my inlaws live up there...been a while since i looked at places,, but cheektowga is near the aiprort and pretty nice,,,amherst/snyder/wiliamsville area is most exlcusive and very nice and about 15 min from buf....i would avoid the actual city of buffalo and lackawana....hope this helps!

As close as possible.

I haven't lived in Buf, but I spent two years at Ft. Drum, NY. My recommendation is live as close as possible to work. A drive that only takes 30 minutes in the summer, count on it taking at least three or four times as long in the winter.

Plus get a house with a great heating system and don't shop around for an old house. Get a newer one with very good insulation. Heating bills are a killer.

Oh yeah, forget the shovel, invest in a snow blower.

I'm thinking FLL, then jump JetBlue FLL-JFK-BUF, because BUF in that Sept- Apr winter - fuh-get-about-it - give me Florida.

I grew up there...

I lived in Depew - about 5 minutes from the airport - lots of inexpensive apartments and places to live.

Definitely LOTS of snow! BUT - great food and the home of chicken wings! Try a place called McPartlins near the airport - wings, and beef on weck - yum!

hey d fitz....best wings are in DUFFS!! right in amherst (of course i still fight with my wife about that..shes from buffalo and swears that anchor bar has the best..lol)

Buffalo rules!

Former Airnow Bandit driver now in the CRJ over at Pinnacle (or Pinchnickel as we call it! lol)

My vote is for Depew. The east side is quite rural which I liked while based in KBUF and the drive to the airport was easy. I lived at the end of a dead end street up against these train tracks. In the winter, I used to ride my snowmobile down the side of the tracks to the little Lancaster airport. It was alot of fun! If you like winter, you'll like it in Buffalo.

There's a great biking trail up at the SUNY campus in Amherst I guess it is. Thing runs forever.

I thought the 'Beef on a Weck" place was called "Charlie the Butcher". Guess he got bought out and headed south for a long awaited retirement! ha ha

see ya...Plankster

Latest resources

Back