• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Just another airplane for sale on Ebay

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I never quite understood why you would advertise an aircraft like that on eBay. Wouldn't it be better to advertise through more "reputable" channels. This way, you wouldn't have to worry about "non-serious bidders."

Then again, I guess that someone who has the money and the time to tinker with a Harrier may not exactly be the most "serious" person in the world in the first place...

Oh well...

Instant profit....

If you look, the start price is $150,000 .... and the same aircraft is for sale in the UK for 45,000 UK pounds sterling. Love that....needs some avionics!

jets

pilotman2105,

Here is the Scoop, these Harriers have been around for sale for a while, the reason they end on ebay is because they cannnot sell them, and need greater exposure.

To give you an example that harrier on ebay has so much commision added, for the broker and ebay, its more then double of what the real asking price is for the jet.

And what happened to the FA-18 that was for sale that was in ebay, yeah you guessed it, it still is.

I hate to say it but most of these jets are worn out, they need alot if Mx +parts in order to get them to flight status, after all you can't just bring your Harrier to the local repair shop and ask them to do a annual on it... And even if you did get it flyable, whos going to insure it.

Might seem like a great deal, but there more trouble then what there worth.

Also,
for a former military jet to be allowed to fly, there has to be an approved (by the FAA) maintenance program in place. The pilot has to have a type rating in the aircraft, from an approved source, as in approved by the FAA. So, even if you bought one, in pristine condition, ready to fly, full of civilian avionics, you have 2 real steep hurdles to get through.

Some time ago, a guy brought over some Mig-23's. They are still sitting, waiting for 'approved' maintenance schedule. Pilot training was accomplished, by going to Russia, but that wasn't approved either.

Big hurdles to get over, full of red tape.

Agreed that there are major hurdles. That said, you don't actually need a Type to fly one of these aircraft, you need an LOA which is approved by the FAA.

I think I know the Mig-23s you're talking about, and I believe that there are several issues preventing them fly. One being that the owner is having too much fun boring holes in the sky at the weekends in his Mig-21 ... quite a site when he comes back into the pattern.

We have a bunch of these aircraft in the local area, L-29s, L-39s, ex RAF Jet Provost Mk 5 and a few others... all flying.

But...the Harrier would be pricey no doubt.... imagine footing the bill for a new Pegasus.... and you better have those 'seats' in good working order.

LOA's are disappearing for jet aircraft, and are being replace with Type ratings. Also, the approval process has changed, and those people who could in the past issue LOA's (LOOA) now have to get new certificates, so they can issue Type ratings. In addition, there are TSA rules that have to be followed, and the NPRM 4521 will restrict the ability to give 'rides' at airshows.

The TSA rule is probably the most penalty heavy, in that if you do training (giving a ride is training) the person in the back seat must be cleared by TSA, or you can lose your ride, as in impounded.

sky37d said:
LOA's are disappearing for jet aircraft, and are being replace with Type ratings. Also, the approval process has changed, and those people who could in the past issue LOA's (LOOA) now have to get new certificates, so they can issue Type ratings. In addition, there are TSA rules that have to be followed, and the NPRM 4521 will restrict the ability to give 'rides' at airshows.

I sure hope the EAA and other groups are able to shoot some holes in that NPRM.

Latest resources

Back