• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

legendskid_44

Need a job
MSN Careers said:
It was a few hundred years ago that Benjamin Franklin made the observation that time is money. The same is still true today, and workers are constantly trying to strike the right work/life balance to get as much as they can of both.
According to the 2008 American Time Use Survey (conducted by the Bureau of Labor Statistics), we're still working an average of eight hours a day. And the most recent figures from the U.S. Census Bureau indicate that the median annual income per household member is $26,036 per year.
There are some jobs, however, even in this economy, where you can work less and make more than the averages. The hours may not be significantly less -- generally between 35 and 38 hours a week -- but these jobs offer more value in both time and money. They all pay salaries that exceed that $26,036 median income.
Here are 20 jobs we found that let you work less and earn more. These jobs require less than 40 hours of labor in a workweek, but exceed the median annual income level in pay.*
1. Aircraft pilots, co-pilots and flight engineers
Hours/week: 23.5
Hours/year: 1,215
Annual earnings: $119,658

Just had a little laugh

Personally I see it more as a tragedy than a comedy, but you're right: it's a funny news snippet.

:beer:

Yeah, I read through that one! They make it sound like, "Gee, should I be a pilot or a t-shirt silk-screener? I really like the hours as a pilot and the salary...hmm, maybe I'll go apply." Pshaw!

Upholding a rapidly diminishing/ed stereotype. Just like they want a one man hero in Sully, they want you to believe that pilots make loads of money and well-paid executives are ethical and honest. Yeah RIGHT.

I recently had a discussion with a state employment professional, regarding the workforce investment act. In that particular state, no funds are available to pilots. Funds are available for nursing and other vocations, but the state has determined that avaition is a "declining industry," without grown potential.

I found that observation rather telling.

Latest resources

Back