• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jungle Jet and CRJ speeds

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It seems that everyone has a different opinion on how to operate their flight. Personally, I think "Flychicaga" has it right. He's the only one that considered the passenger in his explanation. Guys, like it or not, we are in the customer service business. And, a lot of pilots seem to forget that sometimes. It would be wonderful if we could fly our profiles all the time, save fuel, engine wear and tear, increase trip values, make ATC happy, etc. But that does not always work. If you save money on fuel, but give your passengers a bumpy ride that arrives late, you have made a bad decission. We are trained to make decisions continuously to provide safe, reliable service.

Always flying fast to arrive 30 minutes early I agree makes no sense, however flying fast once in a while for the commuting pilot that needs to catch the last flight home, is justified. If you need to fly 4000 feet lower, and burn an additional 800pph fuel, but avoid some occassional mdt turbulence above, then that is justified. Taxing on one engine saves fuel, but if you are not getting enough air out of that one engine to run the packs, a one hour taxi on a hot day will most likely upset your passengers. On a certain route, if ATC tries to give you a short cut which would make you 20 minutes early (which would lower your trip values), but you continuously deny it stating it is for planning/performance reasons (actually not wanting to lower your trp values), and he vectors you 20 times, now making you 20 minutes late, then you made a bad decision, and you should have just taken the short cut. If you are flying faster, buring extra fuel, because you think it is cool to see MMO on the A/I all the time, then you are just wasting money at the company's expense, and taking money out of your own pocket. Releasing the parking break with no rampers in sight saying "cha ching" may put extra money in your pocket, but then the rampers think they can expect this from the pilots, so they continue to do their jobs half a$$ed knowing they will still get an "on time" for the departure. When actually you are leaving late, most likely arriving late, and upsetting the passengers. Personally, I think that is a foolish, unsafe practice.

There are many more examples why or why not to fly the planned profile, or normal procedures. Generally they work, but occassionally they need to be adapted to fit the situation. Bottom line is the customer. I don't believe any company thinks that fuel savings is so important to the extent that they would sacrifice customer serrvice for it. The pilots' job is to make the decissions neccessary to provide safe reliable service and maximize customer service, but not at the extra expense of the company or employee.

That's why we get paid the big bucks:D

Last edited:
Flea said:
On a certain route, if ATC tries to give you a short cut which would make you 20 minutes early (which would lower your trip values), but you continuously deny it stating it is for planning/performance reasons (actually not wanting to lower your trp values), and he vectors you 20 times, now making you 20 minutes late, then you made a bad decision, and you should have just taken the short cut.
Isn't this why the better companies pay the greater of block or historic segment time? It's all about managment's attitude toward labor. Take good care of your people and they'll take good care of your customers.

Jet_Dreamer said:
this is just an observation: to all who fly their planes fast.

why not fly the company recommended speeds or slower. by going faster you just taking money out of your pocket. sure, as fast as you can go is cool, but i will get you there 10 minutes later and a few extra bucks in your pocket.
peace!

This depends on where you work. Some airlines (where I work, for example) pay you more for getting there early. ("premium" or "underblock" pay.) If you're under block for the month, that's the only way you're going to make more than guarantee.

however flying fast once in a while for the commuting pilot that needs to catch the last flight home, is justified.

Wow....you think charging $75+ to the airlines fuel bill so you can make your personal connection home that night is justified?

Amazing.

In the sim, at least, the CRJ won't break mach. The airspeed tape pegs at 400 kts and the mach readout stops at .998

CRJ-700 info

At my company, the training dept has stuck with the CRJ-200 climb profile (250kts to 10,000, then 290 kts until 0.74 mach.) Field experience is that this is too slow. I often climb at 300-310 until .77 mach. Utilizing this profile I can always climb above published numbers on the altitude capability chart by as much as 2000 feet. In addition, I produce block fuel usages that are almost always less that planned by several hundred pounds. If you get slow on the climb (0.70) in the upper thirties, you will not accelerate. I utilize pitch for climb and it almost never dips below 500fpm. When the N2 turbine issue gets resolved, I expect cruise numbers could hit MMO. That will be very helpful on the long hauls be do make up some time.

Jet engines produce thrust based on mass flow. The more air you can shove in, the more thrust you get. The balancing act becomes Lift to drag ratios. Jet aircraft climb the fastest at what is called L/Dmax. This speed though varies for different weights and different altitudes. The company profile is like shooting a shotgun. The computer programs they have though could really help us save fuel and time. If we could get off of the standard "canned" flight plans and tailor each flight for the conditions of that flight, we could really make a difference. I know we as pilots would not have a problem following a different profile if it was printed on each release.

In the meantime, the beatings will continue until morale improves.....

Latest resources

Back