Jumpseating To/From TLV

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FlyingShawn

I have vacation coming up in March and I'm hoping to go visit a friend who's studying for a year in Israel. I know I could buy zed tickets for the trip, but I'm hoping to jumpseat over there to save a little money and I'm trying to figure out if it'd be possible to jumpseat back for the same reason (it's really quite sad how frugal one has to be to get by on first year pay).

As far as getting over there: I've been reading up on the threads about international jumpseating on Delta, so I've learned about the 75 minute rule and to pay the taxes in advance. Anything else I need to know outside of the general rules in the "Delta international jumpseating" threads? Could someone please check the loads out of ATL and JFK on 3/1 and 3/2 and PM them to me?

Getting back is the part that I'm concerned about: I've been there once before on a vacation (as a revenue pax in college) and I remember that you go through security (and have to show them your ticket) before you get to the ticket counter. So how do I get myself listed for the jumpseat (or even check in for a zed ticket) if I don't have a ticket to get through security? Do they understand non-reving well enough that my Piedmont ID and passport would be enough? Would Delta be able to list me a week in advance or give me something on paper to get past security?

If anyone has any experience with this sort of trip or has operated in/out of there, I'd greatly appreciate any tips/advice you have.

Thanks!

Both DAL and CAL are familiar with jumpseaters out of TLV, but you need to speak with a supervisor. You'll walk in to the terminal, check the board to see where the check-in counters are that night, then go get into line. Get in the Business class line; it is shorter and they're okay with it once they understand who you are. If you can get the attention of an airline employee first they may put you at the front of the line. When you get to the person asking the security questions, explain that you are an airline pilot requesting the jumpseat. They won't understand, so they will take your passport and ID and walk away to speak with a supervisor. After a few minutes that feel like an hour, you'll be directed to the counter where you will be listed for the jumpseat. CAL has never charged me for jumpseating, but DAL does. Have a credit card ready, last time on DAL was $30.50 if I recall correctly. If you pay your taxes in ATL at the service counter in the central part of the E-concourse, I've been able to pay my return taxes also. This gives you a "ticket" to go through the first security check with. Once you get a security sticker on the back of your jumpseat pass, you'll go right through passenger security, passport control, then through the food court to the gates. If you haven't been to TLV since the new terminal opened, you'll like it. You feel like you walk forever, especially arrivals, but it is clean and attractive, and the planes park at jet bridges now. The train stops at the airport now, so you have an easy way into Tel Aviv or Jerusalem without having to deal with the Sharuts. If you're renting a car, be prepared to pay for the insurance. Even if your credit card company and/or insurance company say they cover you, Israel requires that you pay liability insurance in addition to your rental. The rentals are fairly cheap (you can find $20/day), but expect an additional $11+/day in insurance. Gas is $8+/gallon. Where is your friend studying? University or yeshiva? Have fun on your trip.

Thanks for all the tips Motown! I'm going to be a lot more comfortable coming back now that I know what to expect. I'm also planning on taking CAL instead of DAL based on what you said about them possibly not charging.

My friend is studying at a university in Haifa, so I'll have to kill some time while he's in class during the day (which is ok, because I have recurrent a week after vacation, so I need to study). On the weekend, we're hoping to do a couple of day trips, like the Dead Sea or Jerusalem (or maybe the Kinneret, aka Galilee).

Thanks again!

Latest resources

Back