Jumpseating to/from Rio

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

DonVerita

I'll be hoping to jumpseat on Delta next week from ATL to GIG (Rio de Janiero). Has anyone done this before?

The questions I have are:

1. Are there any departure taxes that have to be paid at the Delta International Service counter on Concourse E before departing ATL?

2. When I am ready to jumpseat home from GIG to ATL, will the Delta ticket counter agents at GIG know what a jumpseater is and how to process one? Will they ask for money for departure taxes? Are there any "airport" taxes that have to be paid seperately in GIG much like one has to do at the corrupt airport in SJO?

Thanks,
DV

Don't know about the taxes, but make sure you have a visa to enter Brasil.
I remember a non-rev years ago who was sent straight back to MIA on the
first flight.

Don,

As long as you sit in the back, I don't think you need to contact the TSA. Get the Captain's permission through the gate agents. There are no CASS jumpseats on INTL flights anyway. You do have to pay the taxes first, at that ticket counter in the E concourse. Make sure you offer the gate agents some Starbucks as you walk to the gate, saying you will get some for yourself too. That offer may help with eventual seats. And, make sure you have all documents, like Visas if you need them. Good luck.

Bye Bye--General Lee

General,

I'm mainly concerned about the ticket counter agents in GIG causing me problems because they don't know or understand that jumpseaters are not actually sitting in the jumpseat, but rather in a non-rev seat in the cabin.

General Lee said:
Don,

Make sure you offer the gate agents some Starbucks as you walk to the gate, saying you will get some for yourself too. That offer may help with eventual seats. Bye Bye--General Lee

A good trick is also to get teh Hershey's sample bag, I've done this twice now and it works great. Also, give them to the flight attendants, it helps to score a pimpin' seat. Resist the urge to eat the leftovers in Rio, they help on the way back as well.

DonVerita said:
2. When I am ready to jumpseat home from GIG to ATL, will the Delta ticket counter agents at GIG know what a jumpseater is and how to process one? Will they ask for money for departure taxes? Are there any "airport" taxes that have to be paid seperately in GIG much like one has to do at the corrupt airport in SJO?

Thanks,
DV

I fly to Brazil frequently, but with AA. At GIG, you will have to pay a $36.00 CASH departure tax (in Dollars or Brazilian Real equivalent), and that's it. There is a possibility that they might waive it, placing a "crew-member - exempt" stamp on your boarding pass or priority card. It kind of depends on the person you are checking in with. It's happened to me flying domestically in Brazil. They are very professional there and not corrupt, so don't worry about that. I would call the Delta non-rev desk ahead of time to verify if they have to "meal-list" you, or build a special PNR...just to be on the safe side.
If you haven't been to Rio, enjoy and have a couple of "caipirinhas" for me.

Take care!

Last edited:
Rio is nice.. Salvador is better...Paraty even better yet(Except during Carnival then its Salvador)...Buzios yet another great place...
Take a 1.5 hour bus ride up in the mountains to a town called Petropolis. This is the home of Santos Dumont.. Supposedly the real first person to fly under his own power.. Friend of Cartier...Hence the Santos Dumont watch that comes out every year or so..

But really if you want to know where to go eat and where to go drink..P.M. me..

DonVerita said:
General,

I'm mainly concerned about the ticket counter agents in GIG causing me problems because they don't know or understand that jumpseaters are not actually sitting in the jumpseat, but rather in a non-rev seat in the cabin.

Don,

When you pay for the taxes in ATL before the flight, ask the lady to make sure you get a "reservation" for the way back if possible. (I think they do that, maybe not) If you have the paid tax paperwork and show that it says jumpseat on the receipt, then the people in GIG may understand. Ask the people at the counter in ATL what they suggest you do. Maybe they will have an answer. And, have a frosty Frapaccino waiting for them..... Good luck. Have a jumpseat form with you and show the GIG people, and maybe they will call the captain and ask---and make sure you tell them to tell the Captain that you will be "in back." If there is a seat, I think they will allow it.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
Another suggestion that I learned from experience is to take an extra jumpseat form with you in case they don't have one in Rio. I was trying to jumpseat out of Paris to Detroit (NW) and no one at the gate had a form. Luckily, the captain of the flight was a commuter and had some.

Since then, I carry a spare one or two in case it happens again.

iaflyer

Latest resources

Back