Jumpseating Priority

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ex j-41

Can someone please explain to me the "New" jumpseating policy for US Air.
I thought that Pilots had priority over all other non-revs. I got bumped by
a dispatcher. The gate agent told me that he was at the counter first.
And it is first come first serve. Also they said that other non-revs could
go ahead of me if they were first in line.
WTF? Then i get to Charlotte and i am told that it is seniority that determines
who goes first.
So if the flightdeck is occupied then a "Spouce Pass" could bump me? WTF

Anyone care to shed light on this subject?

were u on US mainline? Do you work for an express carrier??

I betcha if that was the case, thr Dispatcher was a mainline guy

OR he was on his required annual observation

This is a complicated issue and would take way too long to sort out here. however, it is not unusual for a dispatcher to have priority over an off-line pilot, especially if traveling on company business.

More info

Yes i work for a wholly owned US Air carrier.
I was trying to commute on US Air Mainline...

Also would mainline pilots have seniority rights or is it first come first serve?

first come first serve for the *jumpseat*, if you are trying to sit in back i have no idea what the rules are.

10 seconds untill someone tells me I am wrong.

first come first serve for the *jumpseat

Well, I think that all depends. I think a mainline guy who wants the jumpseat on a mainline flight would get it. If it's a US Air flight and he flies for US, why should you take priority because you got there first? You may be WO, but you don't work for US..

Same thing if it were reversed.. You should get priority on flights that are operated by your company.

If you're talking about 2 j/sers and both are off-line, then sure it's first come first serve.

U mainline jumpseats are subject to a priority reservations system.....you can call I think 7 days in advance and book the jumpseat. There are primary and secondary jumpseats. This is only for active U pilots (MDA too)

Some of the aircraft have two jumpseats, some have one. If the aircraft has two, and both primary and secondary guys show up, they get the seats. If the aircraft only has one, the primary has priority. If an must ride jumpseater (FAA, Secret Service...etc.) show up then only the primary gets a ride on a two jump aircraft. If the aircraft only has one, he is out of luck.

Any additional jumpseaters are accomodated on a first come first serve basis depending on priority and there is an unlimited jumpseat in the cabin policy.

If memory serves, the mainline dispatcher does indeed have priority.

A350

As a former ramper, gate and counter worker for two regionals, I will be the first to say that yes it is based on senerioty and your travel code. Not who came up to the counter first. However, many of these gate agents that make 8 bucks an hour are idiots and undertrained. So would you expect them to actaully know how to do their job? Hell, I never knew what I was doing half the time!

Latest resources

Back