Jumpseating on Kalitta

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

blackbox

I found out recently that we are able to jumpseat on Kalitta, internationally. Does anyone know if we have to wear our uniform, like you do on Polar?

I dont know if you HAVE to, but it sure helps. As a jumpseater, you are a member of the crew, and when we go thru immigration in various countries, you are listed on the Gen Dec. If they see some dude in a pair of shorts and a tshirt, they might question things a bit. Our flight mechanics throw on a pilot shirt with some cool bars on them to help expedite the immigration process. Throw on a pair of dark pants and a pilot shirt and make it easier on yourself and the crew you are riding with.

Now, our manual does say that we are to be in uniform until we pass 10000 feet. Reason for that is there was a crash a few years ago and the crew was jumping out of the plane in all states of pajamas and uniform undress. It caused quite a stir with the local airport authorities as they tried to figure out who these people were. I dont know if this provision applies to jumpseaters or not....I know the mechanics dont wear the pilot shirt every take off and landing. But they usually have some sort of shirt that says Kalitta on it.

You will find that our guys will be very accommodating and treat you well. Throw on the monkey suit....easy fix for a nice ride to around the world.

I dont know if you HAVE to, but it sure helps. As a jumpseater, you are a member of the crew, and when we go thru immigration in various countries, you are listed on the Gen Dec. If they see some dude in a pair of shorts and a tshirt, they might question things a bit. Our flight mechanics throw on a pilot shirt with some cool bars on them to help expedite the immigration process. Throw on a pair of dark pants and a pilot shirt and make it easier on yourself and the crew you are riding with.

Now, our manual does say that we are to be in uniform until we pass 10000 feet. Reason for that is there was a crash a few years ago and the crew was jumping out of the plane in all states of pajamas and uniform undress. It caused quite a stir with the local airport authorities as they tried to figure out who these people were. I dont know if this provision applies to jumpseaters or not....I know the mechanics dont wear the pilot shirt every take off and landing. But they usually have some sort of shirt that says Kalitta on it.

You will find that our guys will be very accommodating and treat you well. Throw on the monkey suit....easy fix for a nice ride to around the world.

yes and then change into what ever you like, most comfortable, you even get catered a meal and sandwiches, all the coffee and cokes you can drink.!

Thanks. I definitely wouldnt show up in shorts and a T. I was just asking because where I am at, I dont have my uniform with me, and was wondering if Kalitta is no longer an option without it.

Just be careful, our schedule is extremely unreliable.

As said above, the uniform helps in certain situations. However, uniform is not required to JS on Atlas/Polar.

Business casual is all you need. Bring something comfortable to change into. Call our ops and tell them you're an offline jumseater. They'll hook you up. Our schedule is at kalittaair.com. It's subject to change but our ops will give you the most up to date info.

Also, that skd on the website is only a portion of our flying. None of the DHL stuff shows up there. Where are you and where are you trying to go? The best option is to call ops 48 hours ahead of time. Usually the skd is pretty solid at that point.

I jumped on Kalitta out of Amsterdam to JFK and it was an awesome experience. I faxed all my paperwork to Kalitta dispatch, called scheduling and they told me where to meet up with the pilots. Great crew, excellent crew meals and comfy first class seats in the back, plus a few bunks too. A great way to travel.

Latest resources

Back