Jumpseating on International Carriers within US

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flyf15

Hey all, was curious, I know international carriers cannot carry revenue pax between points in the US, but can we jumpseat?

For example, British Airways does IAH-DTW-LHR. Is there any way I can jumpseat on the IAH-DTW segment?

Last edited:
I don't think you'll find an international carrier that will let you jumpseat anywhere. It's pretty much a U.S. thing.

snapshot said it all.

Forget about it. BA/KLM/LH pilots are not allowed to jumpseat on us either.

Ah gotcha, thanks guys. I haven't looked into traveling internationally via non-rev, jumpseating, etc... didn't know that was the case.

Oh well, it was a neat idea while it lasted :)

I don't think you'll find an international carrier that will let you jumpseat anywhere. It's pretty much a U.S. thing.

Actually, many foreign carriers (KLM for instance) will allow you to jumpseat subject to crew discretion as long as you have a ticket. In addition, I've known one pilot who jumpseated on Aeromexico for free and one who jumpseated within Europe on Czeck airlines for nothing. It never fails to ask, but always have back-up plans.

that I do agree with my brother. But, for instance, Lufthansa pilots are not even allowed to js for free on their own airline !!! let alone let others ride for free.

I was trying to get a ride on them from Denver to Frankfurt. But they wont even let their own ride for free (germans.... ;))

FD

I should have qualified myself. International carriers BA, KLM, and such seem to view "jumpseating" as sitting in the jumpseat after you've bought a ticket. There's a treat. No free ride.

When it comes to traveling, I've been treated extremely well by UAL, CAL, and DAL. Back in the day, AA wouldn't let you jumpseat international. Don't know what the deal is post CASS

I never did it, but the best deal around used to be UPS and FedEX. You could actually book a seat (they put a few on each plane) and get HOOKED UP like you had bought a ticket. Free. My understanding is that it's dead now becuase they don't have a cockpit door. Maybe the government will figure out someday that pilots aren't the problem.
Lufthansa pilots are not even allowed to js for free on their own airline !!! (germans.... ;))
Isn't that the same deal with AMR? Have to pay to ride on your own plane?

Last edited:
Yes, I believe they do. Not sure though...

When the goverment will figure out that pilots aren't the problem !? haha, dream on brother ! :)

FD

I know Expressjets pilots can JS with Eva Airways from Newark to Seattle (unless that has changed recently). This agreement was halted following 9/11 but was reinstated after long talks with the Eva chief pilot and a commuter of our own.

Latest resources

Back