Jumpseating not in Uniform

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
RogerMOSA said:
might be bad gouge there, northstar.......i've jumped to my reserve job on Alaska a few times since the new rules came out. I've always gone in civilian clothes, (ie., no monkey suit). They've been more than happy to check my bag at the counter. Don't know about other carriers. Thank you Alaska!!

I always start my B6 commute(online) in uniform. Once through the TSA goons, I change immediately. Sorry fatboy, but I don't have any data points for J/Sing on OAL while in/out of uniform.

...you're lucky then. I tried to check a bag on Delta and was told jumpseaters cannot check bags at the ticket counter. Sorry for "bad gouge", but I even checked with a supervisor. Any Delta pilots??

AKAAB said:
Perhaps we should actually take some pride in the things that reflect our achievements in this business.

Good point AKAAB. I'm going to punch a hole in my logbook and start wearing it on a string around my neck. That'll look slightly less dorky than the Mexican general's uniform I wear only when absolutely forced to.

ReverseSensing said:
Good point AKAAB. I'm going to punch a hole in my logbook and start wearing it on a string around my neck. That'll look slightly less dorky than the Mexican general's uniform I wear only when absolutely forced to.

How obtuse can you be? Your logbook is simply a record of your hours spent in the cockpit. We're not talking about big watches, Ray Bans, or ratty flight bags. We're talking about the one thing the public sees and immediately knows they are in the presence of a professional pilot. If you are ashamed of that, that is your path in life. I choose to be proud to have overcome the obstacles that have been placed before me to become a professional pilot.

I was on the crew bus in FLL last week and saw a captain wearing what looked like the closest thing to rags as a uniform. It was an emarrassment to every one of you that tries to uphold our profession. His slacks were so old that the creases literally were wearing thin enough to see skin through. His shirt collar was all pilled like fleece and it looked like he was still wearing the first tie ever issued to him. His TravelPro had been repaired with gate hinges and his flight bag (with Richmond radio station stickers) was in shambles. I don't know what was going on in his life or what his financial burdens could possibly be, but at some point you have to take some pride in yourself.

i guess i dont see the big deal either.my uniform is the cheapest thing i own - i figure if someone spills coffee - no loss. im too lazy to do all the clothes changing.

If it was up to me, we'd wear khakis and polo shirts. Looks good and comfy, just like our WN flight attendants wear. Now I'm sure I'll get a whole bunch of chit about looking professional, blah, blah, blah - from the same people who actually want to wear hats (What the fluk??) I used to fly corporate jets for the richest people in the world in khakis and polos, I'm sure I can fly the poorest as well!

Get over yourselves, get over your high horses, and let's all be comfortable in our jobs!

DOn't worry man, they are probably the same people that wear their headsets over their hat while flying. I'm proud to be a pilot too, but the less time I spend in my uni. the better.

AKAAB said:
How obtuse can you be? Your logbook is simply a record of your hours spent in the cockpit. We're not talking about big watches, Ray Bans, or ratty flight bags. We're talking about the one thing the public sees and immediately knows they are in the presence of a professional pilot. If you are ashamed of that, that is your path in life. I choose to be proud to have overcome the obstacles that have been placed before me to become a professional pilot.

Well, I was mainly poking fun at your superficiality, because these were, after all, your words:

Perhaps we should actually take some pride in the things that reflect our achievements in this business.
I wear and care for my uniform with due professionalism. I don't consider it a point of professional pride. Believing that an airline uniform is somehow a reflection of your achievement is a little sad. My achievement speaks for itself each time I climb onto the flightdeck and carry out my one and only mission: safely delivering my passengers where they want to go.

Wearing a grass skirt and a coconut bra wouldn't make be behave any less professionally.

I'm a little suspect of anyone who feels professionally validated by their uniform. Professionalism is what you do. It is not an adjective to precede "flight case," "roll-aboard," or "pilot hat."

As to how obtuse I can be: we've only just scratched the surface. ;)

Who cares? Do whats best for you. There is nothing lazy or unprofessional about not being in that stupid uniform unless you have to. Why put yourself in a position to be asked stupid questions buy even more stupid passengers? I'd just assume be as comfortable as I can because I know that the second I get to work my company will go out of its way to make me uncomfortable.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back