Jumpseating Intl question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bgaviator

Is there anything special to know about trying to jumpseat on other airlines other than your own when doing international? I heard that you can't ride in the flight deck when doing intl. Is this true as well? The reason I ask is that I have a co-worker about to fly international on our airline, but is worried about his options for getting back if we happen to be full. Thanks.

I don't know any reason why a dispatcher wouldn't be allowed to ride in the jump-seat internationally on his own airline.

OTOH, the CASS program is for domestic use only. There is another program, whose acronym and initials I don't remember at the moment that does allow access to the jump-seat for international travel, but I don't think any of the pax carriers are signed up for it. Some of the supplemental freight carriers might be. We were a participant for a short while at Cargo 360 before the merger with Southern Air.

We can't jumpseat on our own international flights. Not even in the back.

I know some airlines use CASS verification for international travel in the back. About 3 years ago, I got a jump-seat from SEA to NRT on United with no difficulties, then returning to the states from KIX, the UAL Captain wanted CASS verification retuning to the US. We did not have CASS at the time, so I did some alternative arrangements.

However, I do not think that airlines are allowing jump-seaters in the cockpit for international jump-seats based on CASS. As I mentioned earlier, there is another program for that which requires minimum 24 hours notice and independent verification, where CASS is a walkup ystem. OTOH, I think it is silly to have the other program when most airlines use valid passports along with the company ID for CASS Verification anyway, and if you are CASS eligible, your picture is in the system.

So - who are you working for, onewith wings?

I know some airlines use CASS verification for international travel in the back. About 3 years ago, I got a jump-seat from SEA to NRT on United with no difficulties, then returning to the states from KIX, the UAL Captain wanted CASS verification retuning to the US. We did not have CASS at the time, so I did some alternative arrangements.

However, I do not think that airlines are allowing jump-seaters in the cockpit for international jump-seats based on CASS. As I mentioned earlier, there is another program for that which requires minimum 24 hours notice and independent verification, where CASS is a walkup ystem. OTOH, I think it is silly to have the other program when most airlines use valid passports along with the company ID for CASS Verification anyway, and if you are CASS eligible, your picture is in the system.

So - who are you working for, onewith wings?

She works for what used to be the BEST airline in the world!

Ohh, and on freighters, ALL seats on the airplane are considered in the cockpit. We do not have a cockpit door per se, more like a curtain...

As far as I know dispatchers can JS out of the US on their own airline in the cockpit JS.
Getting back in to the US requires riding in the back per TSA stipulations regarding CASS.
As far as going out on other airlines, should be the same as their domestic JS policy, but getting back again is based on the TSA issue.

The biggest issue I hear of is dispatcher's having issues getting out of Canada and Mexico due to pax loads in the rear. I've also heard there are allegedly ways to side step the TSA and ride up front back into the US, but I don't have any diffinent info on that.

At this time...we're not allowed on the flight deck when jumping to Canada/Mexico.

Sidenote: Frontier rocked my socks getting me to/from SJO as a jumpseater (in the back, obviously) last week. Great work, F9!

Latest resources

Back