Jumpseating at MDW

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Turbinepilot

While trying to pass through security I was denied because my airline is not a recognized airline. He showed me a list of airlines allowed to pass by with Crew ID and it was only the airlines that actually fly out of MDW. The date on the Memo was 12/21 and it was from TSA. He said it was going into effect at every US airport.

The big problem now at MDW, I commute in and out of there a lot. They require the pass but you can just go to the electronic counter and get a security pass without waiting in line. Just when I thought I figured things out, I went through were I usually do in the employee or id line where all crew go and was told a few nights ago that since we don't fly out of there we now have to wait in line with the passengers. I think this is complete b******t. I have a valid ID for an airline, show up in full uniform, and have had a complete 10 year background check but since my airline doesn't fly there I have to wait in line for an hour and a half because of this. Is there anyone who can help with this, I have the TSA's number and plan on calling them. It doesn't make any sense, we still have to go through the same security as everyone else. Can something be done or can everyone complain to justify our point that we as pilots are not going to be treated like this! Because right now I am not going to MDW because I cannot afford to wait in line for an hour to get through security 2 times a week!

Turbinepilot said:
While trying to pass through security I was denied because my airline is not a recognized airline. He showed me a list of airlines allowed to pass by with Crew ID and it was only the airlines that actually fly out of MDW. The date on the Memo was 12/21 and it was from TSA. He said it was going into effect at every US airport.

The big problem now at MDW, I commute in and out of there a lot. They require the pass but you can just go to the electronic counter and get a security pass without waiting in line. Just when I thought I figured things out, I went through were I usually do in the employee or id line where all crew go and was told a few nights ago that since we don't fly out of there we now have to wait in line with the passengers. I think this is complete b******t. I have a valid ID for an airline, show up in full uniform, and have had a complete 10 year background check but since my airline doesn't fly there I have to wait in line for an hour and a half because of this. Is there anyone who can help with this, I have the TSA's number and plan on calling them. It doesn't make any sense, we still have to go through the same security as everyone else. Can something be done or can everyone complain to justify our point that we as pilots are not going to be treated like this! Because right now I am not going to MDW because I cannot afford to wait in line for an hour to get through security 2 times a week!

That's what happens when you put cretins in charge of airport security. TSA is a joke. El Al set the standard years ago - why isn't that standard being followed here? It works, and works well. But the Israelis were concerned with security, not with worthless feel-good political window dressing that does little to keep us from future attacks and does much to make life difficult for pax and crews alike. But unemployment went down when the TSA mouth breathers went off welfare - woopie do!

Nancy Pryor said:
That's what happens when you put cretins in charge of airport security. TSA is a joke. El Al set the standard years ago - why isn't that standard being followed here? It works, and works well. But the Israelis were concerned with security, not with worthless feel-good political window dressing that does little to keep us from future attacks and does much to make life difficult for pax and crews alike. But unemployment went down when the TSA mouth breathers went off welfare - woopie do!

TSA hire nothing but retards. Im still trying to figure out what planet they are all from.

I hear your cry dude. I had the same problem. So have other guys that I know. Although, Pedro (the gang banger looking dude that is usually there checking employee badges who is a total friggin tool) doesn't work for TSA. The TSA supervisor told me that Pedro works for another private company and they are not in charge of the checkpoint...the TSA is. He said they have had the problem going on for a while and that he would straighten it out. This was about 3 weeks ago. Well go figure, I go there the other day and saw the memo ON TSA LETTERHEAD that you have to work for an airline that flies out of MDW. WTFO???? MDW sucks! What happened to our cute little Southside airport????? It gets better, the memo also said the reason for this is "to cut down on a lot of people going through the employee lane.....blah blah blah". That friggin lane is never full.....WTFO. Time to go to ORD.....they have a nice employee lane by baggage claim and it doesn't matter what airline you fly for. Let's see if that goes down the $hitter too.

I was going to complain about the same problem...

Midway is the first airport I went through that made flight crew go through the regular goat corral line.

I almost missed my flight because I was expecting to just pass right through. I actually did get past the first wave of boarding pass checker people and when I asked where the crew line was I was pointed to another person who told me I needed a boarding pass AND had to go back to the beginning of the line. What a hassle.

The person I spoke with said the rule had just changed at MDW and that it was the MDW TSA boss who made it. Sounded like it was an isolated case and that each airport can make their own rules regarding this.

In Portland, I can walk through the crew line without a boarding pass when I jumpseat so long as I am in uniform and have a crew ID.

Those TSA losers get off on denying pilots getting through security, they think they're god. They all piss me off. They're allowing scissors again but not letting flight crews get through the employee line with their airline ID if they don't fly out of that airport?!?... Beaucratic BS.

Last edited:
Turbinepilot said:
I cannot afford to wait in line for an hour to get through security 2 times a week!

If we get enough pilots to complain maybe we will see a change!
We have been complaining for 4 years and it does nothing.

Become a FFDO.

Latest resources

Back