Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Partridge

Humble apologies if this has been asked before, but here we go:

Are there any carriers that accept jumpseat requests from pilots who work for overseas airlines? I fly for a well established European airline (121 equivalent) and often find myself in the US. It would be very nice if I could occasionally use the jumpseat.

Back in the days that I still flew in the states myself (mid 90's) several airlines had open jumpseat policies, ie not related to a reciprocal deal. Is this still the case with some companies (United was one of them)?

Is there anything is the regs that specifically prohibits carriage of non-US aircrew? It would be nice to hear from anybody who has got experience with this situation, either as jumpseater or as crew who has been asked to take a non-US airline employee on the jumpseat.

To be specific, in the U.S. since 9/11, you must understand that there is a difference between being a "jumpseater", and actually occupying a flight deck jumpseat.

Just about all airlines take jumpseaters (not all require reciprical agreements). However, to actually occupy a flight deck jumpseat, you must work for one of the TSA approved "CASS" carriers. This list only includes selected U.S. airlines.

Now, to occupy a cabin seat as a "jumpseater" depends on the policy of the individual airline, and I imagine, the captain's discretion.

Most airline agents and captains would want to see -- besides your airline ID -- an FAA airman's certificate and a copy of your FAA medical. If you are JAR certificated, I do not know what the equivalents of these would be (and I dare say that most U.S. airline personnel would not be familiar with these documents, anyway).

In my mind, I would say the odds are against you having much luck being carried as a jumpseater, even in the cabin -- but you might get lucky. Someone tell me if they think I'm wrong.

I know that this does not exactly answer your question, but hopefully clarifies the current situation for you.

Good luck.

Dont think so...many restictions by the FAA onpart 129 carriers.....I dont think a US captain is going to bump off another US airman for an overseas Pilot..It could do big harm between those airlines recip agreements..

But I could be wrong..

Lets put the shoe on the other foot here..lets say I am over in London, and I wanted a ride with you...in the line behind me is another of your euro pilots that rides with you all the time your two companies have agreement etc....if you were to take me, a US carrier pilot with no agreements and the other guy is not allowed to go, how is he going to feel about you the next time you need a ride on his airline???

Ya see, it really dosn't work...JMHO

rvsm,

You may want to reread his question. I don't think he's asking about bumping anybody out of the jumpseat.

before 9/11 we had a CX jumpseater which we allowed to sit in the jumpseat. That won't happen now though. It says in our ops manual only US airlines. Are we allowed to jumpseat in europe? don't think so. it's easier to use a pass anyway.

Thanks everybody for your responses (even you RVSM, though you kinda missed the point), it's been helpful. To tell you the truth, I didn't hold out much hope but I'd thought I ask anyway.

Regarding you guys (and girls) not being able to jumpseat in Europe, do not take it as anything agains you US pilots. Even us Euros are not allowed to jumpseat, even on our own airline. It's crazy, I know. Apologies none the less.

Partridge is correct, and the rules are made to pee everyone off equally. Jumpseats simply does not exist in Europe, end of story. The only way you can go cheap is by purchasing an ID ticket. But that is not an option available to all airline staff; it all depends on interline agreements. Even so, if you are able to get an ID with a carrier other than your own, your priority is somewhat lower than a mailbag! In other words, a very risky proposition. If I had a Cent for all the stories I've heard of friends and collegues getting stranded all over the world - I'd be a fraction less broke than I am today ;)

RE: Jump Seating

Does anyone know if a Transmeridian FA can jumpseat from MCO-TLH on Comair or Chq without a problem if in uniform and proper ID? PLZ let me know. I have business to take care of up there..
Thanks
LooseDiamond

Latest resources

Back