Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PositiveRate

Refugee
Anyone done it? Anything special to jumpseating...can US pilots ride the actual on Lufthansa? How do taxes work as a jumpseater and do I need a listing prior to going to the airport?

Thanks in advance to anyone who has experience with this.

The only way to travel is to purchase a ZED fair. look on the hub. Jumpseating as you know it is not available on any International airlines.

I agree with metrolet, you have to buy a ZED ticket, no j/s on international airlines, I just traveled on Lufthansa and it works just like a standby ticket, you wait till the end of boarding when they start calling names. It worked very well, good luck.

Most European carriers will let you ride in the cockpit or cabin jumpseats if the cabin is full.
The still take your ZED ticket though, so no free ride.

The only way to travel is to purchase a ZED fair. look on the hub. Jumpseating as you know it is not available on any International airlines.
I know of at least 4-5 European airlines that allow jumpseating as we know it!

I used a ZED fare on Lufthansa through my company (spirit) and it worked very well. Just as stated earlier, standby obviously. At spirit I was only able to buy a coach ZED, but the gate agents hooked me up with an empty row to myself. I introduced myself to the flight crew, but no upgrade. I had a seat so not expecting more. Happy to ride. Your carrier may offer a first class ZED if it is that important to you. The fare was cheap, $290 DTW-FRA-PRG roundtrip. Lufthansa was great to me throughout the flight. I've heard that sometimes foreign carriers will let you in the jumpseat if flight full....don't count on it however. Also, changing planes in FRA, the coach was full, FC empty. They moved revenue pax to first so I could get on. They were very strict about who travels in first. Again, all I need is a seat so I'm not complaining. It is just a little different than the US.

While in Europe, I purchased a ticket on a major foreign carrier to fly around while I was there. I talked to the crew and they actually let me in the flight deck jumpseat to hang out with the crew during flight. Very interesting! Again, it's all up to the crew over there.

I've never riden the NWA Jumpseat overseas, but did fly on DAL, MaxJet and UAL overseas. They were all very accomodating, upgraded to First every time. I understand you must be dressed in at least business casual to be upgraded, however since we are all professionals this shouldn't be an issue. The US carriers will take great care of you while jumpseating. The crew did mention that due to TSA rules there are no offline j/s allowed in flight deck for international flights. So you will need a seat in the back open.

Taxes vary depending on the airport you are flying out of. UAL did not charge taxes out of ORD, but MaxJet charged $15 out of JFK. Not bad for a first class seat to London!

Over in Frankfurt on DAL, taxes were $85. Out of Stanstead on MaxJet was $35 pounds...so about $70 US.

It works great. Living in DTW, I'll take Lufthansa on ZED again for the convience.

hope it helps

Last edited:
I've sat in the jump seat on Olympic some years back.. I was trying to get out of Athens back to the U.S. with no luck and decided to try OA to LHR. Smiled nice at the gate agent and she let me on board to talk to Capt. The whole crew was more than accomodating, and I was told that even though they don't allow jumseating as we know it, most crews in europe will not leave any one stranded, if you can just get to talk w/capt. this was before 9/11 so things may have changed..

I sat on the actual j/s on AIR FRANCE from PTP to CDG.I had an ID90,flight overbooked,the F/O that i met earlier introduced me to the captain whom offered me the j/s.
To my surprise,one of their gate agent was riding along on the 2nd j/s.No j/s form involve,it's all up to the captain.

Yes, many european carriers will let you sit on the actual j/s, but by "jumpseating as we know it" I assumed Sat74 was referring to jumpseating for free without any ID90/ZED pass. The only one I know of that allows this (captain discretion) is Iberia.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back