Jumpseat Question...Delta to Argentina

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

GlenQ

I was wondering if anyone has any tips on jumpseating on Delta to Buenos Aires. I'm actually mostly concerned with the return flight back to the US. Would there be any issue with trying to jumpseat from Argentina back to ATL?
My concern is that Delta doesn't seem to have a way to list for the jumpseat in advance, other than just showing up at the counter, and I'm sure that the ticket agents down in Argentina won't be totally familiar with the process.

Anyone have experience with this?

My only recommendation would be to buy a backup ZED or ID90 on DAL and CAL so you can at least get out of the country. Then if the jumpseat doesn't work out, at least you're not stuck.

they will know. i have jumped back from places on dl including SCL, they know exactly what to do. just show up early and tell them you want to jumpseat. you will pay some taxes and if there is a seat get on the plane. easy as pie! i dont know why people have such hangups about international jumpseating...i have traveled all over the world on the jumpseat and NEVER had a problem.

I too have jumpseated int'l on other carriers, but never going back into the US on Delta specifically.

I'm trying to avoid spending money unnecessarily on a zedfare since I don't see what I'm buying when I get one; as I understand it, if there's a seat there's a seat, the only difference would be if you paid for a zedfare you blew your money for no reason since it's all the same standby priority. Am I missing something there? I was thinking that zedfares only made sense when you're trying to get on an airline that you don't already have a jumpseating agreement with, i.e. foreign carriers, etc...I know you can get your $ back, but I'm just a (very) poor commuter f/o, and even fronting money that i'll eventually have refunded hurts the wallet. So I might be a bit confused about all that.

Does anyone know how many jumpseaters Delta allows?...like if a few other jumpseaters were trying to get on and there were enough seats for all of us, would they just let all the jumpseaters on?

Also, does anyone know what the taxes would run from Argentina these days?

Thanks everyone for your input so far!

Delta has no limit on jumpseaters. Just so you are aware, there is a notice on the non-rev site about Buenos Aires. It says that heavy cargo loads may restrict the flight. It shows taxes are 12.50

Last edited:
when you going Glen? i may be going to Brazil in Jan. Maybe we can trade notes on all the shenanigans...

I'm trying to avoid spending money unnecessarily on a zedfare since I don't see what I'm buying when I get one; as I understand it, if there's a seat there's a seat, the only difference would be if you paid for a zedfare you blew your money for no reason since it's all the same standby priority. Am I missing something there? I was thinking that zedfares only made sense when you're trying to get on an airline that you don't already have a jumpseating agreement with, i.e. foreign carriers, etc...I know you can get your $ back, but I'm just a (very) poor commuter f/o, and even fronting money that i'll eventually have refunded hurts the wallet. So I might be a bit confused about all that.

It would be an extreme case, but it COULD happen. Say there is one seat open, and ANOTHER JS'er showed up before you. IF you use the ZED, you will get the seat before him. JS'ers are the LAST priority to board.

And I know that Agentina is "cheap" compared to most places, but come on dude. You are traveling, just fork out the cash for the one way ZED. What's it going to run you? Less than $100.

It would be an extreme case, but it COULD happen. Say there is one seat open, and ANOTHER JS'er showed up before you. IF you use the ZED, you will get the seat before him. JS'ers are the LAST priority to board.

And I know that Agentina is "cheap" compared to most places, but come on dude. You are traveling, just fork out the cash for the one way ZED. What's it going to run you? Less than $100.

Very true, but you underestimate the sad depths of my cheapness:)...I'm talking a backpack, camera, some cliff bars, and an $8/night hostel. Its kinda sketchy but I always have a blast wherever I go...I usually spend that much in a whole trip, nevermind just the ZedFare, especially in a 3-1 peso/dollar situation...but I realize you are right, and a normal person would be wise to do this.

Oh and Zasca, it'll be 9/19-23...but I see you're working most of that, too bad, you shoulda come too..give me a shout about Brazil

Last edited:
Hi there,

Just came back from Buenos Aires earlier this year.

Tip 1: As soon as you land, introduce yourself to the station manager and tell them you will be jumpseating out in a few days and you want to go through their station procedures now to make it easier on them to look into the J/S if needed.

Tip 2: Buy Zed passes on CAL, AA, and DAL. Cash them in if you do not need them.

DAL counter seemed knowledgeable of the process but they were full that day and I used AA. CAL station manager was also very kind and knew the J/S procedure. AA was the worst by far and I was ping ponging back and forth from agent to agent. but I got the J/S at the last minute.

Tip 3: Keep some Argentinian money to pay airport taxes on the way out.

Good luck.

Latest resources

Back