Jumpseat on crutches?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Wanderlust

I was hit by a car on my bicycle a couple of days ago, and I'm currently on a brief medical leave and using crutches. Is it appropriate for me to try to jumpseat home?

Personally I wouldn't mind, as long as you could move about some without them, but as you are considered part of the crew, many might, since you would not be able to carry out duties required of a "normal" crew.

Just a guess though.

I was hit by a car on my bicycle a couple of days ago, and I'm currently on a brief medical leave and using crutches. Is it appropriate for me to try to jumpseat home?

Can you not just non-rev?

Delta let me do it last year. I sprained my ankle snowboarding in SLC and couldn't walk on it... even gave me a seat in first :)

Good luck...

Delta let me do it last year. I sprained my ankle snowboarding in SLC and couldn't walk on it... even gave me a seat in first :)

Good luck...

If a seat were open in back there would be no question about it. I think he was asking about sitting up front, where on some aircraft he would be blocking the door to the flight deck, which might cause a problem with some crews if he was unable to move quickly.

If you can get past the gate agent and drag yourself onto the airplane with your left index finger you can ride with me. Who uses the rudder anymore anyway...I mean really....

VV

I wouldn't have any problems with you jumpseating to get home, as long as there was a seat in the back. The only thing that would worry me about you sitting up front is if something went wrong. You may become an obstacle/burden in that situation. Also, the paying passengers may think there's something funny going on if a cripple were to sit down in the cockpit.. .. if it becomes an issue, you could probably work something out with your company to get you positive spaced back home...results may vary...

edited to answer your question....
Yes it's appropriate, but realize that you may not be able to get on the plane if the only seat available is in the cockpit. I'd personally call the company first and see if they can arrange a positive space seat for you to get home and recover.......

Last edited:
Yeah, I definitely plan to sit in the back. I don't think I could physically get in the jumpseat anyway.

Latest resources

Back