• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jumpseat...IRS.....This must be stopped

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
(If this goes to fruition, then all the Corp. presidents, VP’s, CFO’s etc…must be required to pay taxes on the difference between a commercial ticket and the Corp. aircraft expense. Maybe the IRS can look at making the Corp. PAX pay taxes on the actual value of the aircraft.)

This is already the case for non-business travel in the corporate world. If our CFO wants to use the aircraft to go to his condo in Vail, he will recieve a 1099 for the cost of the trip, and must report that use as income. (simplistic example)

Not to much on jumpseating myself. King airs dont gots dem LOL! I did hear rumor , Louisiana Aircraft is trying to work out a deal with American eagle and USAir express for letting their pilots commute back and fourth jumpseating from place to place, out of BTR and taking the king airs and Hawker back and fourth to save cost of keeping the crews up there. But this is just talk.
cap'n Landry

hey Landry, where you from? I take it you fly out of Baton Rouge. Anyone around there hiring right now? I wouldn't mind getting closer to home. So, is La Aircraft willing to let us Eagle guys ride for free in exchange?

Steve

Or you could all just jumpseat on a cargo flight, no fair market value on that stuff!!!

Fly Chicaga, now that is the funniest thing I have ever heard from you. "So if you commute start pimpin some hoes."

What everyone keeps forgetting is that the IRS does not write the rules. Congress does. That is who folks should be concerned with. The IRS only administers the rules written by them and has no say in what is taxed or is not taxed.

Actually, congress merely rubber stamps what has been written by the IRS. Sometimes the idea for a new rule comes from congress or the executive mansion, but the IRS, like many federal agencies, has been granted "regulatory authority" which takes most of the burden off of congress' back. If this had not been done, we would see nothing but endless voting on C-SPAN involving particulate standards for water treatment plants.

Since congress has oversight (they didn't give away the store, mind you) a campaign to your reprersentatives IS in order if this is more than an internet legend. Enough pressure from us can generate a memo from the head of the appropriate comittee (ways and means?) that we really don't need to begin a new burdensome system of taxing the jumpseat.

Who has called their MEC to find out if this is true?

FastPilot

Yeah im from New Roads, near False River. 20 miles southwest of BTR. dunno what is in store for LA Aircraft at the moment this is all just talk i been hearing the last few days. I was just curious if anyone else around heard bout that. Anyways i noticed you said * Getting a job closer to home would be nice * are you from Louisiana by any chance ? Take Care
Cap'n Landry

This whole "IRS taxing the jumpseat" is ***CENSORED***.

When you are in the flight deck jumpseat (up front), you are serving as an additional crew member (ACM). It is impossible to tax a pilot for being an ADDITIONAL CREW MEMBER. Again, the IRS cannot tax a flight crewmember when they are serving as a crew member. That stops the buck right there. End of story.

Last edited by a moderator:
1926 - Just to play devil's advocate, you write "the IRS cannot tax a flight crewmember when they are serving as a crewmember", then how do you explain all that money withheld from my pay, which I receive as a crewmember serving as a crewmember. If it is deemed "additional compensation", that certainly seems like something they would justify as taxable.

Latest resources

Back