• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jumpseat...IRS.....This must be stopped

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The IRS is taxing you on money you make (i.e.- Salary). Think about it - when you fly from Ohio to California as a working crewmember and you happen to go visit your mother on your 26-hour layover, the IRS doesn't tax you on what a full fare ticket would have costed you. That would be like the IRS taxing a Greyhound bus driver who drives the bus from one city to another. A jumpseat rider is an Additional Crew Member.

What I want to know is... How do you define "Highly Compensated"? I know I don't fall into that catagory.

1926 - I wish they would tax me for the value of a ticket, I'd save a fortune! But again, your logic is flawed, the bus driver is also taxed on his compensation for driving the bus just as a crewmember is taxed on compensation. As you pointed out, a jumpseater is classified as an "additional" crewmember and the IRS could very easily argue that one could only be considered a crewmember if one receives some form of compensation; in this case, a seat on the aircraft, to which the IRS could assign a value as "additional compensation" for being an "additional crewmember."

All one really needs to do is peruse the thousands of pages currently in our tax code to see that no matter how implausible, someone can find a way to tax most anything. I aggree with your stance, but your logic and thinking are naive.

Latest resources

Back