• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

J3CubCapt

Hey ATA folks, help me out here....

LAS-PHX Friday 11Aug06
We were boarding when a ATA pilot came in the cockpit asking for a "Cabin only" Jumpseat. I KNOW this is NOT the norm, but he was wearing Teva's, Shorts, and a open Hawaiian shirt.

The CA said, "I'm going to let him ride because its a "Cabin Only", If it were Cockpit, NO WAY"

I know what you are thinking about SWA, but please remember, dress as I would be expected to dress on your airline.

J3

I bet you're rarin' and ready to go to make that fourth stripe so you can finally set the world straight, aren't you?

Touchy subject, I know... but if it were me, I wouldn't let this guy ride, purely on ignorance of policy.

Like it or not, our airline managements have set a dress code policy for jumpseating. It only takes ONE pilot to violate or challenge that policy to get managers (or gate agents) to start whining that the pilots get this "free" benefit and don't even follow the rules. Next thing you know, our j/s benefits are being questioned by other employee groups and managers. Business casual is pretty much the norm at all carriers. If a pilot can't be sensible enough to know or review the rules and ettiquete of the j/s, then they ought not use the privledge.

Don't shoot the messenger. If y'all don't like the rules, get them changed through your airlne management or union j/s coordinators. In the meantime, follow the basics of the dress code or risk loosing the privledge.

Your captain was way too lax with this guy.

I know what you are thinking about SWA, but please remember, dress as I would be expected to dress on your airline.

As a commuter, I appreciate the help and courtesy that the SW pilot extends to me. Please do not use a "broad brush" in your assumptions about the ATA pilot group.

Regarding the ATA jumpseater, if there is an issue, it should be addressed through your respective Jumpseat committee.

Skipper

I would've refused his jumpseat pass, I don't think he should be allowed to non-rev dressed that way. This clown makes ATA pilots look bad and he doesn't represent the majority.

At least you can be sure he didn't have any toothpaste on him.

I never get out of uniform anymore just to keep my toiletries.

First off, I'll apologize. What a schmuck. That was an excedingly nice jesture of the CA to let him on. I wouldn't have if I were still a captain. :rolleyes:

I will submit that morale at ATA is about as low as it can get, and this individual may not care any more. It's also possible they had a ticket and either missed their flight or got bumped.

I agree with the previous idea of letting the JS coordinators handle it.

What is the current dress code at SWA for jumpseats? Seems like most airlines have relaxed them quite a bit over the past ten years, or so...

Latest resources

Back