Jumpseat 101 for FEDEX Pilot.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just be nice. That's all it takes.

Be nice to the ticket agents. Be nice to the gate agents. Be nice to the crews. Be ESPECIALLY nice to the flight attendants!

Live by the golden rule and do unto others like you would have them do unto you.

Introduce yourself to the cockpit crew (BOTH of them, not just the captain, or ALL THREE of them if you are on a three-crew plane) and thank them for the ride. Ask the captain where you should sit. He or she will probably tell you to ask the lead FA, or otherwise say "sit wherever you want." On most airlines that usually means first class is ok as long as there is a seat available there.

On an airline like UAL, which nowadays gives you a boarding pass at the gate with an assigned seat ahead of time, go up front and introduce yourself to the crew anyway and ask for a ride. It is simple respect and they will appreciate it.

I'm not sure I agree with deplaning last, especially if you are sitting at the front of the plane. But certainly thank anyone and everyone again as you leave, and tell them that they are welcome on your airline any time. If the cockpit crew hasn't come out to tell the pax goodbye, make sure to poke your head in there and thank them profusely for the ride.

Just be humble and appreciate the favor the airline and the crew is doing you. You could be paying $300 or more for your ticket, just like all the poor slobs in the plane with you. Be glad that you are not. The crew, when they jumpseat on your airline, will hopefully give you the same respect. If they don't...well, life is too short to get heartburn about a$$holes. Don't refuse them a ride. You can't help their upbringing.

So, no one bit on the " civvie guy showin' up in your squadron fresh from boot camp as an O5 angle".....could I as an 8 year regional guy with 8000 hrs show up in the military as lets say a "major". That's about what a 8 year miltary guy showing up to the right seat at FedEx or UPS is doing. So we do it see it a little different from the "civvie side". I can't just become a Major in the US Air Force but the military guys can just become a "MAJOR" in the civilian air force. I could care less myself. I like a few military guys and a few civilian guys and don't really care for the rest no matter where they grew up.....But it is a point

could I as an 8 year regional guy with 8000 hrs show up in the military as lets say a "major". That's about what a 8 year miltary guy showing up to the right seat at FedEx or UPS is doing.

Sure, why not. That happens for Doctors and Lawyers. Rank has nothing to do with your position or qualifications in the airplane, though.

In the fighter community you would show up with no qualifications and start out as a wingman, just like everyone else.

Guys show up in the squadron all the time with experience in other aircraft -- heavy drivers who are cross-flowing, first-assignment instructors, etc. That flight time means virtually nothing. Everyone starts out with the basic qualification and works their way up the ladder to flight lead, instructor, mission commander, etc, etc based on performance during that particular assignment.

So, that being said, I don't see why it's tough to stomach a guy who all ready has 10 (or 20!) years of professional flying experience stepping in as a first officer at a major airline.

EDIT: I failed to completely read your post, and see the "8-year military guy" part. Well, not much is different, although at 8 years an AF dude that is getting out of the service probably won't be a Major yet.

Just as an aside, I am currently getting back into flying the F-15E after a 3-year sidetrip as a T-38 instructor. When I get to my operational squadron, I'll start out as a wingman, too. A Major wingman with 1500 hours of fighter time being led around by flight leads that were likely my students when I was an instructor.

If I can prove that I'm not a total clown in the jet, I'll quickly move up to a qualification that's commensurate with my rank and experience. If not, I'll stay a wingman, at the discretion of my commanders.

Last edited:
Captain Maybe

So, no one bit on the " civvie guy showin' up in your squadron fresh from boot camp as an O5 angle".....could I as an 8 year regional guy with 8000 hrs show up in the military as lets say a "major". That's about what a 8 year miltary guy showing up to the right seat at FedEx or UPS is doing. So we do it see it a little different from the "civvie side". I can't just become a Major in the US Air Force but the military guys can just become a "MAJOR" in the civilian air force. I could care less myself. I like a few military guys and a few civilian guys and don't really care for the rest no matter where they grew up.....But it is a point
If you only have 8 years experience, you would be a mid level captain, not even close to making major. Your hours have nothing to do with your rank or where you stand in the pecking order in a squadron. Just one of the many differences between civilian and military flying. Apples and oranges, so no, I really don't see your point. You chose the civilian/regiional route, the mil guy chose the military fighter/heavy route. We all pay our dues in one way or another. Either way when you do make it to a Major, you start at the bottom of the seniority list no matter what your background or method of paying dues.

Sure, why not. That happens for Doctors and Lawyers. Rank has nothing to do with your position or qualifications in the airplane, though.

In the fighter community you would show up with no qualifications and start out as a wingman, just like everyone else.

Guys show up in the squadron all the time with experience in other aircraft -- heavy drivers who are cross-flowing, first-assignment instructors, etc. That flight time means virtually nothing. Everyone starts out with the basic qualification and works their way up the ladder to flight lead, instructor, mission commander, etc, etc based on performance during that particular assignment.

So, that being said, I don't see why it's tough to stomach a guy who all ready has 10 (or 20!) years of professional flying experience stepping in as a first officer at a major airline.

EDIT: I failed to completely read your post, and see the "8-year military guy" part. Well, not much is different, although at 8 years an AF dude that is getting out of the service probably won't be a Major yet.

Just as an aside, I am currently getting back into flying the F-15E after a 3-year sidetrip as a T-38 instructor. When I get to my operational squadron, I'll start out as a wingman, too. A Major wingman with 1500 hours of fighter time being led around by flight leads that were likely my students when I was an instructor.

If I can prove that I'm not a total clown in the jet, I'll quickly move up to a qualification that's commensurate with my rank and experience. If not, I'll stay a wingman, at the discretion of my commanders.

Mud - trust me...you will not stay a wingman. I already see exactly what's going to happen. You'll show up in your new squadron as an 0-4 ADO (standard issue), and you'll be about 3 years out of date with the tactics in the mudhen. After listening to your young captains and your patchwear-er spin you up on academics and get you "sort of" knowledgeable on the mudhen tactics, you'll quickly progress to a 4 ship flight lead (just because the squadron needs you there so you can lead the lieutenants around). After you finish your ADO queep or if you're really lucky - the squadron commander will send you to the OSS to be a scheduler or stan-eval, which will take up most of your time every day, you may get thrown into a few red air sorties here and there. That's the standard issue Major ADO or OSS chump. Doesn't matter if it's in the C model, mudhen, or viper.

That's the most telling statement in your entire post. Once you read that you can understand the bitterness in the first part of your post.:cool:

Oh, yeah. Unlike the starter of this thread, please make it clear which airline you work for, so we know what to do where.
Thanks.

Listen, it shouldn't matter what airline you work for, most companies have the same basics, while processing the jumpseat varies greatly, when you get to the plane nothing should be different...

The Gate Agent is not your freakin Travel Agent. Use your head when you approach, don't impede the revenue pax.

Introduce yourself to the Lead if available, name and airline, ask to speak to the Capt.

Introduce yourself to both Capt.and FO.Always have and offer your crew id, medical and license available for inspection.

Ask for the ride! If you were given a seat assignment relay that to the crew, and offer your assistance if needed. Always Thank them, before and after.

Get on last, unless otherwise directed by the Gate Agent, then make sure its ok with the lead.

Get off last. Don't impede the revenue passengers. This goes too for those pilots in Uniform who have purchased tickets. It just looks bad, we don't know if you bought a ticket or not.

Remember you didn't pay for any of the services given onboard, so don't expect to get any. The FA's have revenue to take care of. If its offered, as it almost always is, great, enjoy it humbly.

For those of you using the jumpseat only once and awhile, and may not be practiced at the subtleties, try not to make the rest of us who do it regularly, look like pigs.

Latest resources

Back