Judge blocks strike at Mesaba

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So Duane Woerth's big surprise is a job fair? :smash:
What are the consequences of a strike against the judges wishes?

What are the consequences of a strike against the judges wishes?

Judge Kishel said:
The parties may do with the results what they may. This is an injunction issued by a federal court, enforceable as appropriate.

There is still hope for this company, but turning that to reality is once again up to the Debtor and the Unions alike.

I don't know what "...enforceable as appropriate" usually means.

I know that members of our MEC are personally named in the injunction, so beyond the almost certainty of going to jail, they would be financially liable for any action they order to the contrary of the judge's injunction. We're talking millions of dollars here. In other words, they wouldn't survive this.

Despite what any of us feel is right, we can not ask our MEC to disobey this order. The system is 100% against us. And yes, Clinton was no saint, but the current administration flat out despises and disrespects labor.

This is not the USA any of us grew up in folks, it's been hijacked.

Unemployment... strike pay... a little money to keep the food on the table vs. nothing at all.

I'm pretty damn sure that there would be an ALPA-wide support for your pilots in terms of money and other things for standing up to this decision. In any case, one can work at McDonald's or Home Depot and probably make more money than Mesaba pilots.

Lear,

It's easy for you to run your mouth when life is pretty good where you are.
We are in negotiations now and life being "pretty good" where I am could change any second. I would take the same actions here if the shoe were on the other foot.

Most people at Mesaba are working on going someplace else, but most people don't have so much disposable income to just walk away.
Disposable income? I'm 6 months on probation on 1st year pay here, I don't have "disposable income", but I DO have other jobs I could go do if a strike ever came to pass here (or the need to walk away).

They have people that rely on them.
I know, I'm good friends with a couple of your pilots, one lives right down the road from me, our kids go to school together. I have kids as well and I'm well aware of what this entails --- I'm pretty sure he plans on quitting as soon as the pay cuts are finalized and getting a job here locally.

I find it much more honorable to feed your family and keep a roof over there head, then to try and point out what most airline pilots already know... WE ARE PROFESSIONAL!
Of course you do. You're of the "ME ME ME" generation.

Just a decade or two back and people's families were going to strike meetings and all preparing budgets and 2nd jobs TOGETHER, AS A FAMILY in order to preserve the industry.

Many of your coworkers are ready to do the same, as evidenced by your strong strike vote turnout and your last negotiations. Unfortunately it appears you're not one of them.

Good luck to the rest of you over there,,,

p.s. Rez, you're absolutely right. A walkout would be the better way to do it but, unfortunately, I don't know anyone over there who's willing to stand up and organize it, and it would HAVE to be organized over a short period of time to be effective, otherwise the people who won't go will just upgrade and be happy they're building PIC time now... :puke:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back