Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Jimbodawg

Hi all,

I am looking to jumpseat to Hong Kong at the end of the year. I have never been on Kalitta or Atlas or any other cargo carrier. How is the ride on these guys? Do they have standard economy seats installed? Or just jumpseats? Do you pack your own food and drink? Do they have water onboard?

Also, when flying the pax airlines with zeds or ID-90s, what airlines (US and intl) are most likely to upgrade you to business?

Thanks!

I am looking to jumpseat to Hong Kong at the end of the year. I have never been on Kalitta or Atlas or any other cargo carrier. How is the ride on these guys? Do they have standard economy seats installed? Or just jumpseats? Do you pack your own food and drink? Do they have water onboard?
The ride on Kalitta Air, in my opinion, is great. All our airplanes (except 1 - it has 12 coach seats) have 4-8 first class seats on the upper deck that recline. We also have 3 bunks that are usually empty (the mechanic takes one, but that leaves two) unless there are deadheading crewmembers). We have a regular lav like you would see on a passenger airplane. We carry enough water, juice, soda, and coffee to float the freaking airplane - and they board more at each stop. Everyone riding on board (including jumpseaters) gets a meal for each leg - believe me, you won't go hungry. There is also an oven and a microwave to heat the food. There is plenty of room to move around and electrical plugs to plug in a laptop or charge your ipod or whatever.

We have two ways of getting to Hong Kong - EWR-LGG-BAH-HKG or LAX-HNL-GUM-HKG. The schedule for the next week is at Kalittaair.com or you can call operations for more information about the schedule further out.

The Kalitta flt leaves LAX at 0230 Wed and Fri mornings. Wed goes Hnl then dirct Hkg, Fri stops in Hnl-Gum-Hkg. I'd recommend bringing a laptop and dvd's/a book or two, long flights. Call dispatch ahead of time to get on the paperwork it will make things simpler.

Last edited:
Atlas is hit or miss going westbound to HKG. If we find work for it going eastbound thru Europe, they'll do that up to the last minute vs almost empty to HKG. You could sit for days waiting for a plane to actually go Westbound.

Does Kalitta take scheduled 135 guys on their jumpseat?
Trying to get to Europe.

Thanks.

Ride Atlas

We have flights to HKG from ANC via JFK or ORD, several times a week, it's on a Classic 747 which is more spacious than the 400. I hope this helps!

I know a couple of people that have ridden on Kalitta Air. They only had good things to say. -kingaira90

Does Kalitta take scheduled 135 guys on their jumpseat?
Trying to get to Europe.
Your company has to have an agreement with our company. That being said, PM me your company and I'll look it up. If you don't - get your jumpseat guy talking to our jumpseat guy, we're always happy for new agreements.

Latest resources

Back