• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

aeronautic1

Virgil_Tracy
John Wayne Aviator Movies

I just saw an ad on American Movie Classics, a Dish Network channel. They are showing Islands in the Sky on Sat. July 16 @ 8pm est and The High and the Mighty on Sun. July 17th @ 8pm est.

I was a good friend of Ernie Gann and still good friends with his widow, Dodie. It has been decades since these movies have been shown on public TV.

Warner Bros. are re-releasing these re-mastered movies on DVD in August. Truly some of the Duke's best work and The High and the Mighty was the precursor to the disaster movie genre.

These are two evenings that aviators can rejoice!!

Last edited:
Dodie and I republished both books a few months ago in anticipation of the release of these great movies. The movies are unique in that they follow the books very closely.

The new books can be found at www.bdkingpress.com or at amazon. While browsing the website, you airline type guys may want to check out Bob Serling's THE LEFT SEAT and for a real history of barnstorming and "flying" the mail stories check out BY THE SEAT OF MY PANTS.

www.bdkingpress.com

Re: The High and the Mighty

Thanks for the info. I've been trying to watch The High and the Mighty for years after I read the book. I understand John Wayne was nominated for an academy award for best supporting actor in the movie for his roll as the first officer - a comletely different character than he normally plays. I can't wait to see it. Thanks again.

That's great news!! Thanks for posting the date and times, I'll be sure to catch them. I've been waiting for years to watch "The High and the Mighty" movie ever since I read the book. I can't wait till it's out on DVD :)

"The Left Seat" is a really good book. Just finished it today, and starting "The High And The Mighty." Hey BDKing, is that Ernie Gann pictured on the back cover?

FlyChicaga said:
"The Left Seat" is a really good book. Just finished it today, and starting "The High And The Mighty." Hey BDKing, is that Ernie Gann pictured on the back cover?

Yep. It was when he was with Matson Airlines. The photo on "Island In The Sky" was about 1942 when he was doing the North Atlantic thing in a C-87. Thanks for the plug on "The Left Seat". I'm surprised that more people have not recognized the history that is scanned in the book.

www.bdkingpress.com

"Jet PIlot" starring John Wayne

Speaking of John Wayne airplane movies, get (rent don't buy)or watch "Jet Pilot" starring John. It has to be one of the worst airplane movies ever made and probably John's worst movie. It was on the AMC channel about 2 weeks ago. It is a stupid and dopey movie. But everytime I catch it on TV, I watch it while reading because as most of us are crazy airplane buffs and I just watch these old movies. Hell, last night on the AMC channel I watched (again) "Casablanca" with Humphrey Bogart.

OviedoBob said:
Speaking of John Wayne airplane movies, get (rent don't buy)or watch "Jet Pilot" starring John. It has to be one of the worst airplane movies ever made and probably John's worst movie. It was on the AMC channel about 2 weeks ago. It is a stupid and dopey movie. But everytime I catch it on TV, I watch it while reading because as most of us are crazy airplane buffs and I just watch these old movies. Hell, last night on the AMC channel I watched (again) "Casablanca" with Humphrey Bogart.

You are right. The plot in "Jet Pilot" sucked. HOWEVER, there are some great aerial shots in the movie.

www.bdkingpress.com

Jet Pilot

Come on!!! Nothing like the sound of afterburners when Janet Leigh gets a close up with those amazing knockers!!

Also guys, if you ever happen to fly into KFHR, stop in for a bite at Ernie's Cafe in the old airport terminal. You may see Dodie driving in town.

I saw Stumpet cruising up the ICW two years back. Hadn't seen the boat since the day Ernie and Dodie christened it at the old San Juan Shipyard in the early 70s.

Latest resources

Back