Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

jobs that will pay for reinstatement of licenses?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
wondering if he listed the anti-biotic on his for one fills out inquiring about medications in use..

Disclosure of medication is not required at the time of the test, but something still doesn't add up. I have several years experience as an advocate for a 135 operator. Penicillin based antibiotics share a metabolite(benzolecgonine?spelling?) with cocaine. The amount of antibiotic must have been high to trigger the positive result. The second sample is used for a gas chromatograph/mass spectrometer verification test. Sounds like the test was positive with no split sample( lack of union representation) for the verification test or the MRO was incompetent.

Last edited:
So now that I had some time to recollect my thoughts from ancient history, it is unusual to have a BE over 100 unless it was a 'loading dose". The carrier you worked for should take you back. A positive result precludes you from working for another commercial carrier. PM me and I might be able to help you. 60k? I'm sure you can agree, the price of union dues is a bargain.

While acknowledging that people occasionally do stupid stuff, I'm unapologetically biased toward giving pilots benefit of the doubt with accompanying process and protections from inevitable government abuse. The guy in this case may very well have been railroaded without access to a proper defense.

Back when Elizabeth Dole was Secretary of Transportation (1983-1987ish, pretty sure I have the time frame right) and drug testing was a hot topic, I was channel surfing and stumbled across a C-Span broadcast of a Senate Transportation Sub-Committee hearing on drug abuse in the transportation industry (not just aviation).

I wish I could find a link to it because it should be required viewing for anyone in commercial aviation. It's been many years but I recall it would dispel any notion you are anything but chattel property in the mind of government. That hearing was just a blatant dog & pony show to make Joe Sixpack think the vote trollops were actually protecting him from something.

The ALPA national aeromedical chairman and an ALPA lawyer were there representing the airline biz. They were treated like dirt by the panel as they tried to explain the HIMS program to show the airline biz could effectively police itself. You could see the exasperation on their faces.

Dole was a joke trying to justify the need for testing and the senators were arrogant, sneering and condescending. Fritz Hollings and John Danforth were particularly bad. Just a kangaroo court and nothing less.

I couldn't believe what I was seeing; I was furious that honorable professionals were treated like that. I called the aeromedical guy (a DL guy) to express my anger. He said they had been INVITED to testify and were stunned at the treatment they received.

So, there's little reason to trust the Imperial Federal Kakistocracy to treat us serfs and peasants in an honorable way. Perhaps, the guy in this thread is an innocent victim ? That's my default stance until conclusive proof to the contrary is provided.

Last edited:
A note in the FAA file that one has received a false positive but continues to revoke the license.

My guess is this is not true.

I remember when drug testing came into the Navy in the early 80's. There had been a night time flight deck accident on one of the CV's. 35 sailors were killed, they found than a third of them were using drugs. The flight deck of a carrier is not someplace you want to be while under the influence of anything.

The Navy then instituted mandatory drug testing for everyone from the CNO down to the new boot. Suddenly you look around your unit and people are missing. This included maintainers, flight crew, even an FE. You were just shocked at who was a user. It is a good program, no one using drugs have any place in any DOD or DOT function.

The drug testing procedure was quite personal, a Corpsman would have to physically observe the urine leaving your body to ensure it was a real sample.

Latest resources

Back