Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

MarineGrunt

Will kill for peace.
Just arrived here in SLC and I'm looking for an instructing and/or flying job. I realize those are few and far between so anything aviation related will do for now. I've been to most of the schools here, but not much luck. If anyone has any leads for me, I'd appreciate it! Thanx!

Re: 500 TT ????

moving2vegas said:
Did you try american aviation? I don't have too much info other than the website. Offer flight instruction, tours, charter & I think they have a few freight runs. BOL

http://www.americanaviationwest.com/index.html
Tried calling a few weeks ago, and left a message. No reply. I'm going to stop by in person instead. Thanks for the replys and PMs for far!!!! :)

As far as flight instructing jobs: American Aviation, Great Western Aviation, Salt Lake Community College has a flight program and may need instructors, Westminster College does too, Utah Valley State College in Orem/Provo has a flight program, Utah State University in Logan has one too. Utah Valley Aviation in Provo has an FBO and may need instructors.

Regarding freight you'll need at least 1200 hours but American Aviation had a 135 certificate, American Check Transport, Ameriflight flies out of SLC, and I'm sure there's a few others. I think BankAir may still fly Lears out of SLC as well as Airnet may fly a Lear in and out.

There are a few jet charters out of SLC, D&D Aviation I think and others. All require lots of good time though.

Good luck. Salt Lake is a great city.

Last edited:
SkyWestCRJPilot said:
American Check Transport, Ameriflight
I take it you also need 1200tt for these places?

Part 135.243, Pilot in Command Qualifications

(b) under VFR requires commercial license, 500 hours flight time, 100 cross-country of which 25 are night, instrument rating or ATP.

(c) under IFR requires commercial license, 1200 hours flight time, 500 hours cross-country, 100 hours night, 75 hours of actual or simulated instrument time at least 50 of which were in actual flight, instrument rating or ATP.

Most Part 135 freight operators hire under the IFR PIC minimums though occasionally they'll hire under the VFR minimums and let you only fly VFR. The exception is VFR only operators like those that fly tour flights in the Grand Canyon for example. Some operators (Amerflight included) will let you fly as an SIC with just a multi-commercial instrument license if you pay them for the hours. That gets into pay-for-training which is a nasty thing we don't like to talk about.

Incidentally according to Part 61.1 "cross-country" time can be counted if it is less than 50 nm away for consideration for Part 135 experience requirements. The 50 nm rule applies only for obtaining recreational, private, instrument, commercial, or ATP licenses, not for obtaining Part 135 cross-country experience requirements.

Socalplt said:
SkyWest has ramp and customer service positions if you can't find a flying position.
I applied several times over the past few months, but no response. Any idea how I can follow up???

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back