• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Job

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Where to begin...since you obviously have no idea.

tankers
lead planes
seats
air attack
recon/patrol
IR
mapping
smokejumpers
100 different helicopter jobs
and a few others I probably missed

There are many different "firefighting pilot jobs" out there. All of which require extensive experience in the air or on the ground, usually both. None of them are entry level jobs. None can be had with "around ATP mins". 2000 TT PIC and 500 multi PIC would be a low figure. The numbers are much less important than your experience and background. Low level ,backcountry mountain flying in type specific aircraft is what we're looking for.

Well then how dose one get the Extensive Experience Since one of them are entry level jobs?

Oh come on. You've never seen Urban Cowboy?

That was the one with John Travolta? I don't think so. I saw one with Robert Redford...Electric Horseman, I think. Never saw the Urban Cowboy. Is it about marbles?

Well then how dose one get the Extensive Experience Since one of them are entry level jobs?

Aside from being a gramatical nightmare, that question makes no sense. However, which one is an entry level job?

So how do the marbles play into the whole thing, then? What happens when you run out of marbles?

Well I would say a lot of people like us who enjoy fire flying and would like to make career out of it, would be considered by many types (of lesser people) to have lost our marbles.

I finally got a job flying air attack and am wondering if the tanker companies (aerounion/neptune/minden) would take that kind of work into account when reviewing my resume (asusming its accepted with my times). What can I do to improve my odds of being "picked up" by a tanker company? I'd like to take my career in the firefighting direction and would appriciate any help any of you guys can give.

A tanker company is looking for someone who meets the qualifications, and who is available. Presently there are still a lot of tanker pilots who are qualified who are available.

The big secret is to keep after it; keep pursuing the company. In the morning when the job comes up, it's the person standing in front of the desk, hat in hand and resume on the table, that gets the job.

Air attack experience may help a little, but it isn't really something that makes you competitive. Honestly, having a mechanic certificate would be of more interest, as would hands on experience working on airplanes, and most of all, a willingness to get dirty. Not that tanker pilots do a lot of wrenching any more. But it's worth more to a tanker operator to have a pilot who's not afraid to sweat...because you will.

What flying air attack will do for you is give you an introduction to the fire traffic area and fire operations in general. It will give you a chance to operate around others, to make some contacts, get your foot in the door.

Have fun. It beats working, any day.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back