Job Searching Tips

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Fly4hire

Thinking I was long done with this, I'm on the search again for aviation employment. In the 8 yrs since the last time I had to go searching much has changed, including the proliferation of organizations that purport to be in the business of putting pilots in touch with employers but probably do a more effective job of fleecing them.

Any info on companies that are worth looking at and those to avoid would be appreciated.

Also could use some info/feedbck on:

-Other than Kit Darby who publishes lists and addresses and whether a company requires you to resign seniority or not?

-Benefit of online applications vs. walk-ins/connections

-Companies that might be good place to hang for a few years until recalled and that are friendly to high time, middle aged, furloughed 121 pilots.

-leads for Asian carrier contract flying

Any resources, tips, points in the right direction would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Fly4hire said:
-leads for Asian carrier contract flying

Any resources, tips, points in the right direction would be appreciated.

Try these;

Avia Crews*
AviationJobSearch.com
Best Int'l*
Betts Recruitment
Confair Recruitment
Contract Air (click "vacancies")
Direct (click "jobs")
Global Flyers*
Hawaii Aviation*
IAC
IASCO*
PARC
PAS Aviation (click "current vacancies")
Rishworth
Sigmar Aviation
Storm Aviation
Titan Aviation
World Aviation Systems Inc*
World Airline Services

Also, try Eva Airway's website, Korean Air's, China Airlines. Hawaii Aviation will send you an app right after you fill out the on-line resume along with the contract terms. The NCA job looks pretty lucrative. Don't know if any of them ask to give up your number elsewhere.

Moderator reviewed.

Last edited by a moderator:
It tends to be better to go direct rather than via an agency. Some places only hire through agencies though so they become a necessary evil.

Are you captain qualified with at least 500 hours time as PIC on type in any of your types ? If so, your options increase exponetially. If not, then you are stuck with F.O. jobs. If you are looking for an F.O. job with advancement opportunities then stay away from CAL and EVA.

You may also want to look at the Middle East. Lots going on out here with Emirates, Etihad, Qatar, Gulf Air, Air Arabia, Jazeera, and Saudia hiring right now.

TP

typhoonpilot said:
Are you captain qualified with at least 500 hours time as PIC on type in any of your types ? If so, your options increase exponentially. If not, then you are stuck with F.O. jobs. If you are looking for an F.O. job with advancement opportunities then stay away from CAL and EVA.

Yes, but only on the LRJET/LR60. Curious perusing some of the web site previously listed, they wanted types and PIC, but not necessarily in what the position was for. Are they just looking for a jet typed PIC as prerequisite, or do they really mean in what they are advertising for?

Also how is commutability for the foreign contract jobs? I've moved too many times and simply cannot relocate for what hopefully will be only a several year gig.

Also most ask for an ICAO ATPL or equivalent. Does the FAA ATP count for that?

typhoonpilot said:
You may also want to look at the Middle East. Lots going on out here with Emirates, Etihad, Qatar, Gulf Air, Air Arabia, Jazeera, and Saudia hiring right now.TP

Thanks, I had not considered that.

I'm about 8-10 months out from being furloughed, and I want to start getting things in work now. My employer is granting leaves of absence for those that want to leave early for job possibility. From your experience how long are the lead times from application to employment with some of the foreign contracts?

There are a lot of stories running about regarding the shortage of experienced crews for staffing some of the Asian/Indian carriers. Time to see what's really going on..........

You may want to look at the Cathay Pacific U.S. freighter based jobs. With the lead time you have that is a good possibility. They have been running over a year from application to class. Some guys on this board work there, and one, was recently hired ( Bjammin ).

The Japanese carriers have basings in SFO and HNL which might also work for you. Those go through HACS, WAS, and possibly IASCO.

Outside of those you pretty much need to move overseas. If you are current and qualfied on the 757 or 737EFIS or NG then Emirates would snap you up in a heartbeat. The F.O. job at Emirates is equivalent to $100,000 per year in the States as long as you don't have kids in school. If you do, then it is closer to $75,000 equivalent. Upgrades for new hires will run in the 5 to 7 year range, maybe more maybe less.

Are they just looking for a jet typed PIC as prerequisite, or do they really mean in what they are advertising for?

Generally speaking 500 hours on type is the minimum for any Captain position overseas.

Also how is commutability for the foreign contract jobs? I've moved too many times and simply cannot relocate for what hopefully will be only a several year gig.

See above, most aren't really commutable that is what makes Cathay and the Japanese jobs my first suggestions for you. They could be more commutable.

Also most ask for an ICAO ATPL or equivalent. Does the FAA ATP count for that?

Yes

From your experience how long are the lead times from application to employment with some of the foreign contracts?

Three months to two years.

Typhoonpilot

Try Atlas, Kalitta, Focus, Tradewinds, Cargo360, Evergreen, etc.

Be very wary of contract positions. You must check the fine print of the contracts very very closely.

Last edited:
Draginass said:
Try Atlas, Kalitta, Focus, Tradewinds, Cargo360, Evergreen, etc.

Be very wary of contract positions. You must check the fine print of the contracts very very closely.

OK, what's to be so wary of?

Beware that that the physicals given, especially by the Japanese are extremely thorough. Lots of people fail them and get sent home after wasting a lot of time. Training in some Asian carriers is anal retentive to the extreme and cultural differences extreme as well. Despite the overt "politeness," many oriental cultures view westerners as grossly inferior. If you fly as an FO with a Chinese or Japanese captain, that can be problematic and uncomfortable. Saftey standards at some Asian carriers are sometimes grossly lacking.

All I'm saying is that you should investigate these contract jobs very closely and get first hand info from westerners (not the head-hunter contract companies) who have worked for these companies. Some do fine, but many others absolutely hated it.

Latest resources

Back