Job in Nepal...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
RJP said:
So I jump ship in Hong Kong and make my way over to Tibet, and I get on as a looper at a course over in the Himalayas. A looper, you know, a caddy, a looper, a jock. So, I tell them I'm a pro jock, and who do you think they give me? The Dalai Lama, himself. Twelfth son of the Lama. The flowing robes, the grace, bald... striking. So, I'm on the first tee with him. I give him the driver. He hauls off and whacks one---big hitter, the Lama---long, into a ten-thousand foot crevasse, right at the base of this glacier. Do you know what the Lama says? Gunga galunga... gunga, gunga-galunga. So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consiousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.
"....bark like a dog"

Classic!

"K-K-K-K-Katmandu
it's really where I'm goin' to
If I ever get outa here
I'm goin' to Katmandu"

Beautiful desolation
Clean air
Rare air
Cold yak poop

What's the exchange euros to US dollars?

I've been to Nepal (just on a quick trip), I think living and flying there would be the experience of a lifetime. People are wonderful, once they get past seeing you as a moneybags western tourist. Making even a small effort with the language will make a big difference with that. Make sure you read up on the political situation - there has been recent fighting between government forces and Maoist rebels who want to overthrow the government. I think KTM was considered safe, but the situation is pretty fluid. Their economy is very tourism oriented, and obviously with the fighting tourists tend to stay away and depress the economy - I would think there would be enough pilots available locally to fill this post? Especially for ~$36,000 a year, that's a fortune in Nepal! Ask the recruiter why they can't hire a local pilot. Maybe cause they all know better? I hope that 206 is at least a turbo!

Could somebody please put up the text of the job post?

YaM,

Previous posts about covered the details...500 hours, available by Nov. 7th, 12mo contract @ $EU2500/mo....completion bonus of $EU5000. Nice if you speak Nepali...no training or operational details except be prepared to fly alot more than you'd want to. Accommodations basic but acceptable ( didn't say to whom ? ). All nationalities welcome...no licensing details. Reply to [email protected].

Really sounds interesting so let us know what you find out. Play up your previous experience in Nepal. I would think they'd prefer someone who had an idea what the conditions are like.

Dream Date says that if I go to Nepal, don't bother coming back.

Ask about how many pounds of drugs you'll be carrying too. Need to include that in the weight and balance.

Nepal? for $36k? You must be desperate. Keep in mind that in Nepalese jails, they don't feed you and I doubt they'll give you a free phone call back to the States.

Drag,

Desperate ? Nope, just idly curious what the job is about. Don't see many like that advertised. Can't imagine actually doing that.

They don't feed you in a Nepalese jail ? Well, what did you do for food ? Don't show us any Polaroids, please...

Draginass said:
Ask about how many pounds of drugs you'll be carrying too. Need to include that in the weight and balance.

Nepal? for $36k? You must be desperate. Keep in mind that in Nepalese jails, they don't feed you and I doubt they'll give you a free phone call back to the States.

don't forget that they're having some sort of rebel issues there. Something about blowing up police stations and that sort of thing.

So, out of nothing more than idle curiosity, what became of this job posting ? Who on earth went after, and was given, this job ? It was put up for bid, so to speak, so someone wanted a pilot and someone wanted to be that pilot.

I sent an email to the listed address asking the above questions and it came back as "undeliverable". Not much of a surprise, I guess. But, it would be interesting to know the real details of this job. Who would actually seek out, and accept such work ?
Are there people floating around the world who do this type of thing as a career ? My guess: yep, there must be a lot of them...can't prove it...just a suspicion. Is there some place where such pilots "network" and move in these fringe, shady circles ? If they have computers, maybe they'll tell about their exploits. It would be some of the most fascinating stuff we've heard.

Not looking for smart remarks...just some first-hand input from those who've "...been there...done that...".

Latest resources

Back