Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Capt. Over

Haulin' it on 18 wheels.
Anyone out there have any experience with these Airinc. job fairs? Are they worth the time and money? Do you really increase your chances with some of these companies? I would go if I thought it would help me get an interview, especially if it gets me off furlough, cuz this unemployed thing is getting old! Any info. would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Capt. Over

Job Fairs

I really don't know what the Job Fairs will be like post 9/11. I went to one years ago and met some nice folks, great way to networking with other pilots in your same situation. I got one interview out of it, but wasn't very interested in the company. I guess if you spend the money and get a job it will be well worth it and if you don't it will be a waste of money.

Happy Job Hunting
Humble

They're pretty good.

I went to the ATL AIR, Inc. job fair in July '01 and came away feeling like it was a worthwhile use of my time and money. Without a doubt the best part of it was meeting and greeting with the airline hiring departments (which was the afternoon of the second day). I think this can be worth its weight in gold for the very people oriented airlines like jetBlue and Southwest. I didn't get a whole lot of new information out of the two forums I went to (military/airline transition & interview survival) and they were each $35 or so. But, like Humble said, they may have changed a lot since the terrorist attacks.

Willie

Air Fairs in General

Both Air Inc and ourselves have career Airfairs. Prior to midsummer, they were both successful although they represented different approaches. Air Inc was expensive for the member/attendee and free to the companies. While free to the companies was good, it also lead to companies being shown on there that really are not looking, just available.

Air Inc has these presentations that take a good deal of the day and then a short actual meeting time.

AEPS was the opposite. Companies were charged so really wanted to be there or did not come. Members/attendees were charged minimally to keep the passerbys down. Most of AEPS was face time with a few helpful seminars during day.

Air Inc had intended to start charging the companies but that went away with the 11th. In DC, he had to reduce entrance fee to $99 and even then it was not a good situation for anyone.

AEPS is putting one together with NATA and PAMA for Indy in March. Same low fee. Could not tell what Kit is charging for Dallas from site however would say these are more informational now than recruiting.

I was scheduled for the $249.00 Seminar by Air Inc in Denver 17 SEP, it was of course cancelled. I hit the one on VA in November. The price was lowered to $99.00 and the seminars were only $25.00 each.

Knowing what I now know, I would not attend any of the seminars. Throught the entire workshop sessions, it was more marketing for Air Inc and how you can't get a job without them. Its a huge sales pitch.

I would estimate there were over 300 at the main jobfair seminar 300 x $99.00 ain't bad chump change for 2 days work. I understand they have huge overhead, but their sales of books and study material well offset any loss. And this is at $99.00 a head not the normal $249.00. Kits doing well.

I thoght the actual face time with the HR folks was worth it. That and you get to meet who your vying for jobs against, get to network and actually have a good time. No I haven't gotten a job yet, however I gave my resume to the SWA folks and they sent me a job app to fil out that was slightly different from the app online. Hope this helps.

I have had a very positive experience with these fairs. Though Mr. Publisher is correct in the assertion that AIR Inc's charging policies result in a slightly different blend of employer / employee prospects, I would defend it.

Though United, American, et al may not pay to be there, it nontheless costs them money, effort, and time to do it. Believe me they wouldn't be there if there were not a desire to do so. Kit delivers a nice crop of people who are motivated enough to pay the money and put on a good suit and travel, and the airlines know it.

I work these fairs recruiting for my company, and I have had a chance to chat informally with some of the recruiters at the after-hours gatherings. There is no doubt in my mind that there are two very large positives to be had from going through this effort to meet and see these people:

1) Some airlines (like mine) indeed do informal "prescreening" at these events, setting aside resume' s from people we think would be good candidates (a cold piece of paper can't hold a candle to a few minutes of talking with someone and seeing their demeanor in person). They are the first ones we call when we interview to fill a class (after the personal recommendations, of course).

2) In the case of the airlines that don't (like United, from whom your call was based entirely on the computer picking out your scantron), you at least got straight poop from the people running the department. This is invaluable!! A five minute talk with with the head of pilot recruiting sizing up your resume is worth a lifetime of rumors about what you need to be competitive and what you don't (how many of you have spent years in the right seat of a big jet when a year in the left seat of a little turboprop would've had you that interview years ago?). If you have a road map, you can find your destination so much faster!!

My first air fair was ATL '99, and I was at once frustrated and inspired. I was so pissed that with the resume I had I wasn't as competitve as I thought I was. At the same time, I had found out exactly what I had to do to get competitive - and it worked. I was hired at a major airline last year. Unfortunately 9/11 happened before I got a class, and I got a letter saying my new job had vaporized. Though it's dissappointing, if I did it once I can do it again - and there were choices I made as a result of the AIR Inc fair that led me straight to that job.

Majors not hiring now? Yeah, I know. But JetBlue, Southwest, Executive Jet, Airtran and other excellent companies usually have strong representation and give you a chance to have real conversations with people who can get you hired. Plain and simple. For those of you not yet competitive - this can give you a chance to concentrate your effort on the activites and jobs that will get you in the door in the least amount of time. They'll tell you exactly what to do!

For those of you in the "competitive" realm for regional airlines, these shows are veritable smorgasbords. All the good regionals are usually there, and many folks walk out the door with interview dates in hand (obviously after 9/11 it may be down a bit).

Though I have not yet been to an AEPS event - things over there seem to be pretty active as well. They have recently had forums with JetBlue and Southwest HR departments and I'm sure others.

If you are serious about advancing your career, or are an out of work pilot right now wanting to know what the marketplace is, these are can't-miss events IMHO. I have no affiliation with either AIR Inc or AEPS - I just think you are.....unwise....to go into battle without obtaining the proper information to achive your goal.

Good luck to all

I went to Air Inc's Feb 01 in DFW. I arrived late for only the second day so I got an "extra discount" because I missed the part where the companies get up and tell you about there future.

I was looking at regionals only, with that in mind I did walk away with about 7 interviews which turned into about 3 offers.

I agree with others that it is overpriced, but the face time with the carrier of choice "may" be worth it.

I have never gone to an AEPS, but a good friend of mine did. His perspective was it was a better deal. He was to both AIR inc and AEPS and he would only go to AEPS in the future.

Regardless, I really do not know how benificial any of these are going to be other than informational post 9/11. So for the money, I guess I would take AEPS over AIR inc.

Thanks for the info.....

Thanks for the replies. I'm furloughed now and I'm getting to the point where I would do anything to get back flying. Of course the money issue is big right now and paying $100 or more to get into the fair is not really something I can comfortably do...but I need to fly again so I'm still thinking about ways to pull it off. Thanks again and good luck to all.

Capt. Over

P.S.- George...great name! :D

I agree with you. I wanted to go to the DFW Air Inc but now that I don't have a job, I don't want to spend that much money. I'm curious how many people will show up.
Falcondriver

Can't come up with the money????

Yes air fairs do cost money... Yes Kit Darby is gaining money for not doing much work... Yes MOST of the air fair is a waste of time...

BUT...

Getting a job is much like making babies.... It only takes one to get through and it is absolute once it happens....

At almost all majors you will not get called unless you have a recommendation or you "know somebody"... These air fairs are your chance to get to know somebody... Probably even THE person who will either pick you for an interview OR conduct the actual interview...

Is it worth it to pay to meet these people that offer your "dream job".... YES..... $99.00 is a small price to pay for a $15,000,000 dollar airline career.

Can't come up with the money.... I'm still laughing at that one.

Latest resources

Back